OFFICIAL: Herschel Sims now a Lamar Cardinal

Mike

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Good! Hopefully a fresh start is good for Herschel and good for LU. would love to see him have the same impact at Lamar that his namesake had at Georgia!!!

I think this transfer will get some attention of our SLC foes!!!

A little perspective on highly rated this kid was out of high school at 5A Abilene

These are the top running backs on the University of Texas depth chart and their rankings out of high school:

Johnathan Gray: #1 RB, #5 Nationally, #2 in overall in Texas

5-11 190 4.40 40 (Rivals 5-star)

Malcolm Brown: # 1 RB, #10 Nationally, #1 overall in Texas

6-0 220 4.44 40 (Rivals 5-star)

Joe Bergeron: #33 RB, NR Nationally, #63 overall in Texas

6-1 215 4.45 40 (Rivals 3-star)

Here they are at Texas A&M:

Christine Michael #3 RB, #22 Nationally, #5 overall in Texas

5-11 202 4.43 40 (rivals 5-star)

Ben Malena #25 RB, NR Nationally, #46 overall in Texas

5-9 201 4.42 40 (Rivals 4-star)

Here's were Jamaal Charles was ranked:

Jamaal Charles (UT) #7 RB, #57 Nationally, #4 overall in Texas

6-1 185 4.34 40 (Rivals 4-star)

This is where Sims was ranked:

Herschel Sims #2 RB, #73 Nationally #10 overall in Texas

5-10 190 4.43 40 (Rivals 4-star)

BY KELLY HINES - Tulsa World | Published: July 12, 2012

Wednesday in Payne County District Court, former OSU running back Herschel Sims was arraigned. The case was continued until 1:45 p.m. Aug. 15 at the request of Sims’ attorney, Rebecca King.

A determination will then be made as to whether to set or waive a preliminary hearing.

Sims, a freshman who was kicked off the team last month, has been charged with two counts of felony second-degree forgery. He is accused of stealing a former teammate’s ID and using it to take $700 from his back account.

Looks like he will only be shredding defenses if he is not in jail.

Lets hope he gets everthing strait and keeps it that way. I reallt want to see this kid doing well in a LU jersey this fall. I really think that with the additions we have added from OKST, we really have a chance at being competitive in the SLC this year and maybe even a contender. Wouldn't it be awsome to beat SHSU and McNeese and go the the FCS playoffs?! Not saying that it'll happen, but it sure is fun to think about.

Lets hope he gets everthing strait and keeps it that way. I reallt want to see this kid doing well in a LU jersey this fall. I really think that with the additions we have added from OKST, we really have a chance at being competitive in the SLC this year and maybe even a contender. Wouldn't it be awsome to beat SHSU and McNeese and go the the FCS playoffs?! Not saying that it'll happen, but it sure is fun to think about.

It is fun to think about.

There may have been other things going on at the same time with the Bearkats, but Sam Houston went from 2-9 in 2003 to 11-3 and to an FCS Championship semi-final 2004 when Dustin Long transferred there.

Wishing Mr. Sims success as a Cardinal and in his future life.

Food for thought: If he in fact does get convicted, how many of you would still welcome him with open arms, because apparently it is a real possibility? Just how bad do you want to win?

If he gets convicted as charged he'll probably have to spend some time in jail. More than likely the charges will get knocked down and he'll be doing community service with probation. From all accounts he's a good kid and this is the first time he's been in any kind of trouble.

If he is found not guilty and all of this was just a huge misunderstanding of some kind, then great, welcome aboard, I hope he helps us win every and sets school records in the process. But if he is found guilty, even with a plea to a lesser charge, to me, that's not the definition of a good kid at all. Far from it. Maybe I'm just old fashion in my thought process.

If he is found not guilty and all of this was just a huge misunderstanding of some kind, then great, welcome aboard, I hope he helps us win every and sets school records in the process. But if he is found guilty, even with a plea to a lesser charge, to me, that's not the definition of a good kid at all. Far from it. Maybe I'm just old fashion in my thought process.

Red Ryder, I'm just curious of your opinion, this is in no way my opinion on the subject so don't think I'm attacking you. But my question is that if Sims does plead guilty to a smaller crime and spends no jail time, do you think his football career should be over?

Red Ryder, I'm just curious of your opinion, this is in no way my opinion on the subject so don't think I'm attacking you. But my question is that if Sims does plead guilty to a smaller crime and spends no jail time, do you think his football career should be over?

Not necessarily, I just don't know that I would want him on a team in which I am pulling for and hoping to start to build a winning program with in what I would consider the right way. I would like to win with quality people as well as quality athletes. I would think Lamar's fans would also want quality student athletes as well. If some other school that none of us cares about gives him a shot that's fine by me.

Seventeen to twenty year old young people have been doing stupid things for years that they learn from and regret for the rest of their lives. Years ago this situation might have happened and Sims might have transfered to Beaumont with virtually no one knowing how he got here and as long as he kept his life straight here everything would have been great. Exactly why he was kick offed the OSU team we will probably never know unless he decides to tell someone here. I trust the LU coaching staff did due dilligence in getting the best information they could from the OSU coaches. As long as this young man is sincere in learning from his past, takes care of his off the field business such as going to class and doing his best I think we can be supportive of him.

Guest CardAmbassador

First, Welcome to Lamar Mr. Sims.

Second, I'm pretty sure he pleaded the way he did to try and get a bargain, that's what anyone here with a lawyer would do. The conviction is not relevant, the evidence they have sounds air tight, so he committed the crime whether he's convicted or not.

The relevant thing to me now that he is on the team is this, both former OKST teammates seem to be OK with him coming here. They know him better than we do; I've already stated my opinions on this on another thread so there is no need to reiterate them.

Again welcome to Lamar, lets kick some ass now.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

I want Lamar to win as much as anyone on this site, or any Lamar fan for that matter, but to me winning with a little moral integrity is important. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking.

I don't think you are alone in your thinking, but every situation has to be evealuated in light of the facts. Yes, I would love a team made up of all "Roger Staubach" quality athletes and quality people. We live in a much different time and athletes come from very different envirnments. If Ray Woodard and staff feel like a kid made a bad choice and has learned from this, and if he doesn't have a history of issues, then I welcome any kid whether he is a 4 star or 2 star athlete if he can contribute to the success of the program. I believe in second chances, and there should be enough evidence to know if a kid is a problem or just made a mistake by the time they are in college. I think Herschel Sims could be a program changer for Lamar and re-write the record books.

I agree with Geezer. Give the kid a shot. I can't see how a second chance is such a horrible thing. Some that screw up never learn, but some do. Maybe he'll walk the chalk line from here on out. At any rate, no one will know if he learned anything if he doesn't get another opportunity. FCS schools all across the land have given many a kid a second chance.

Guest eagle eye

The relevant thing to me now that he is on the team is this, both former OKST teammates seem to be OK with him coming here. They know him better than we do; I've already stated my opinions on this on another thread so there is no need to reiterate them.

Again welcome to Lamar, lets kick some ass now.

I agree with CardAmbassador. I think if the kid is trouble former teammates would not sign off Sims coming to Lamar. I think it's a chance for a fresh start for Sims and it certainly benefits Lamar to get a player of this caliber. I also agree with Red Ryder about the importance of building a program with the 'right kind of guys'. It's a fine line but the one thing I look to is Ray Woodard. He didn't just come in from the wood shed. He's been around NCAA and NFL football at the highest levels and I'm sure he understands about moral character and how a lack of it can affect a program. I trust Coach Woodard and I have to believe he's done his homework on this player. As fans we can be happy we have a player of Sims caliber. I'm sure Coach Woodard will keeping a watchful eye on Mr Sims, that's his job to do his due diligence in this matter. It's up to Sims to pull himself up by his bootstraps and appreciate this opportunity by walking the straight and narrow. The fans have the easiest job. By the way, I think $700 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I really look for probation and community service with Coach Woodard's assurance he will be monitored closely. Think about it. From a societal point of view it doen't make sense to send the kid to jail when he can go to college and get away from the attitude that made him steal the money in the first place. Win-win. I like that.

This is what is wrong with society today. You have a student athlete who is given a free ride to a major school because he can play football. He decides to steal $700 from a teamate by committing felonies and admitted to it. You guys are willing to give him a pass because can potentially make the "Lamar Football Program" better. Come on give me a break. This is flatout ridiculous. Not that this kid did anything in comparison to Jerry Sundusky, but "The Program" was way more important than the lives of young boys being raped by Sandusky. Everyone turned their heads and looked what happened. It happened over and over. So on a much smaller scale, you have a kid who chose, not mistakenly, but chose to steal money from his teamate and OSU does the right thing and tells him to pack his bags. Now the ALUM of Lamar is supposed to be supportive? I hardly think so. We do not want to start down this road and should be ashamed of our administrators for allowing it. This young man has admittedly committed a felony and entered a plea of guilty. At least let him pay for his crime before he is granted a second chance. I am all for second chances, but this is not a second chance, its an opportunity to run from problems without facing the consequences of the past. Second chances come after the consequences of the first chance failures.

This is what is wrong with society today. You have a student athlete who is given a free ride to a major school because he can play football. He decides to steal $700 from a teamate by committing felonies and admitted to it. You guys are willing to give him a pass because can potentially make the "Lamar Football Program" better. Come on give me a break. This is flatout ridiculous. Not that this kid did anything in comparison to Jerry Sundusky, but "The Program" was way more important than the lives of young boys being raped by Sandusky. Everyone turned their heads and looked what happened. It happened over and over. So on a much smaller scale, you have a kid who chose, not mistakenly, but chose to steal money from his teamate and OSU does the right thing and tells him to pack his bags. Now the ALUM of Lamar is supposed to be supportive? I hardly think so. We do not want to start down this road and should be ashamed of our administrators for allowing it. This young man has admittedly committed a felony and entered a plea of guilty. At least let him pay for his crime before he is granted a second chance. I am all for second chances, but this is not a second chance, its an opportunity to run from problems without facing the consequences of the past. Second chances come after the consequences of the first chance failures.

he pled not guilty but so what, lets throw him in a cell and throw away the key. then when he gets out lets burn him at the stake. ::)