Okie State's Joe Mitchell next to Lamar??

Mike

According to one of our posters LAZEEK in another thread:

Source tells me to expect a 4th player from Oklahoma State to sign with Lamar. He is a linebacker.

I have a few calls out concerning this but haven't heard anything back yet. Either way it's an interesting topic that I felt deserved its own thread. It's fun to speculate during the offseason.

:)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's Joe Mitchell. Some tweets from Brandon Morris who covers OSU football:

Hearing #OKState linebacker Joe Mitchell will join former RB Herschel Sims and transfer to Lamar in Beaumont, TX.

Good question, don't know the answer though RT @bleednornge72: @brendon_wm Is it because of the performance Tshimanga had in spring ball?

Mitchell is from Katy, TX which is in the Houston area. Reason could be playing time and/or being closer to home. May never know.

coach you're too fast.

I just got a call back from a source at Lamar and the interested player is former rivals 3-star LB Joe Mitchell. Mitchell played with and is friends with Mike Venson as they both went to Morton Ranch. My source told me that Venson actually tried to get Mitchell to follow him to Lamar back when he decided to come to Beaumont instead of TCU.

Here's Mitchell's Rivals profile: http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahomastate/football/recruiting/player-Joe-Mitchell-83263

He's listed as 3rd string LB on the oSu depth chart so combine that with LU signing 3 of his former oSu teammates and being friends with Venson and it makes sense.

Stay tuned.........

Guest CardAmbassador

The math on these scholarships is a bit cloudy to me. We had 2.5 left during the beginning of spring practice. Since then we've dropped 4 players (Washington, Oden, Campbell, Johnson) and gained (B.J., Barrett, 3 OSU guys, Cory Soto, Brock Wempa)

So that's 1/2 scholarship left assuming all those guys had full rides? I guess the math does work out.

I'm all for another FBS transfer, sounds like this guy wants some playing time, if we have the scholarships and he still has 2 years left it sounds like a win-win. We really are becoming Okie Super Lite. LOL

Is he a inside or outside linebacker?

I believe outside linebacker. He can also play safety.

He is an outside linebacker. Playing in the wide open Big 12, we tend to recruit big safeties, put them through our top notch strength and conditioning program and put them at OLB.

I suppose he could move back, just seems unlikely.

He contributed a solid amount. He started one game due to injury to the starter. He's very talented athletically, but I believe he never felt comfortable in the scheme. He tended to get yelled at by the older guys for being out of position in several games last year. Regardless, he's a talented ballplayer.

And as for the post above, I wouldn't say you're raiding our team... I like to look at it as providing opportunities to guys who are good enough to start elsewhere. They may've been good enough to start for us one day, but now they get the opportunity to do so this year.

Is he a inside or outside linebacker?

I believe outside linebacker. He can also play safety.

He is an outside linebacker. Playing in the wide open Big 12, we tend to recruit big safeties, but them through our too notch strength and conditioning program and put them at OLB.

I suppose he could move back, just seems unlikely.

He contributed a solid amount. He started one game due to injury to the starter. He's very talented athletically, but I believe he never felt comfortable in the scheme. He tended to get yelled at by the older guys for being out of position in several games last year. Regardless, he's a talented ballplayer.

And as for the post above, I wouldn't say you're raiding our team... I like to look at it as providing opportunities to guys who are good enough to start elsewhere. They may've been good enough to start for us one day, but now they get the opportunity to do so this year.

thx for the update okstfan....but i will say I think br360 forgot to put his winky face up when he said LU was "raiding" oSu.

:)

Guest BigRed2010

The math on these scholarships is a bit cloudy to me. We had 2.5 left during the beginning of spring practice. Since then we've dropped 4 players (Washington, Oden, Campbell, Johnson) and gained (B.J., Barrett, 3 OSU guys, Cory Soto, Brock Wempa)

So that's 1/2 scholarship left assuming all those guys had full rides?

I bet Coach Woodard has the math figured out. We probably don't need to worry about how the scholarship situation works out. I bet the Lamar athletic department has added up the numbers and know exactly how all of this will play out. We probably don't need to worry about the scholarship numbers. I think we are in good hands when it comes to adding and subtracting.

Guest BigRed2010

who is ray-ray running off to free up scholarships?....

I think ray-ray is a competent coach. I think he knows far more than you or me when it comes to "running off kids to free up scholarships". I think if we give "ray-ray"a chance, we will be in good hands. How about we give "COACH WOODARD" a chance. I don't think two years is a fair chance at an FCS program. How about you arm chair quarterbacks, backing off and give the man a chance. I think "ray-ray" will do a fine job if given a chance.

Guest CardAmbassador

So that's 1/2 scholarship left assuming all those guys had full rides?

I bet Coach Woodard has the math figured out. We probably don't need to worry about how the scholarship situation works out. I bet the Lamar athletic department has added up the numbers and know exactly how all of this will play out. We probably don't need to worry about the scholarship numbers. I think we are in good hands when it comes to adding and subtracting.

I never said they didn't have a firm handle on the numbers. I for one like to keep up with these things to know what is and isn't possible for us to do. That information is rarely shared so sometimes a little arithmetic is needed to figure out where we stand.

Part of being an obsessed fan is keeping up with the little things like scholarship numbers. I wasn't saying anything as a slight to coach. I just like to keep up with the numbers, I think some people appreciate it.