Okie State's Joe Mitchell next to Lamar??

Mike

who is ray-ray running off to free up scholarships?....

I think ray-ray is a competent coach. I think he knows far more than you or me when it comes to "running off kids to free up scholarships". I think if we give "ray-ray"a chance, we will be in good hands. How about we give "COACH WOODARD" a chance. I don't think two years is a fair chance at an FCS program. How about you arm chair quarterbacks, backing off and give the man a chance. I think "ray-ray" will do a fine job if given a chance.

+1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The math on these scholarships is a bit cloudy to me. We had 2.5 left during the beginning of spring practice. Since then we've dropped 4 players (Washington, Oden, Campbell, Johnson) and gained (B.J., Barrett, 3 OSU guys, Cory Soto, Brock Wempa)

So that's 1/2 scholarship left assuming all those guys had full rides?

I bet Coach Woodard has the math figured out. We probably don't need to worry about how the scholarship situation works out. I bet the Lamar athletic department has added up the numbers and know exactly how all of this will play out. We probably don't need to worry about the scholarship numbers. I think we are in good hands when it comes to adding and subtracting.

I never said they didn't have a firm handle on the numbers. I for one like to keep up with these things to know what is and isn't possible for us to do. That information is rarely shared so sometimes a little arithmetic is needed to figure out where we stand.

Part of being an obsessed fan is keeping up with the little things like scholarship numbers. I wasn't saying anything as a slight to coach. I just like to keep up with the numbers, I think some people appreciate it.

Thats the engineer coming out in you. ;)

The math on these scholarships is a bit cloudy to me. We had 2.5 left during the beginning of spring practice. Since then we've dropped 4 players (Washington, Oden, Campbell, Johnson) and gained (B.J., Barrett, 3 OSU guys, Cory Soto, Brock Wempa)

So that's 1/2 scholarship left assuming all those guys had full rides?

I bet Coach Woodard has the math figured out. We probably don't need to worry about how the scholarship situation works out. I bet the Lamar athletic department has added up the numbers and know exactly how all of this will play out. We probably don't need to worry about the scholarship numbers. I think we are in good hands when it comes to adding and subtracting.

I never said they didn't have a firm handle on the numbers. I for one like to keep up with these things to know what is and isn't possible for us to do. That information is rarely shared so sometimes a little arithmetic is needed to figure out where we stand.

Part of being an obsessed fan is keeping up with the little things like scholarship numbers. I wasn't saying anything as a slight to coach. I just like to keep up with the numbers, I think some people appreciate it.

Are you also counting the scholarship Harrison Tatum freed up after spring practices?

Guest bigred360

Wow, this would be another great addition as we are raiding OSU. lol

Sorry, CA was right, got a lot going on right now. My cousin is a OSU alumnus. I have a deep appreciation for those Cowboys.

Another Brendon Morris tweet:

I'll stand by my sources on Joe Mitchell, but either way, mark Sept. 13, 2013 on your schedules. Lamar vs. #OKState at BPS. Bum bum bum.

I'm guessing Mitchell wants to visit the Lamar campus Wednesday before asking for a release.

Guest bigred360

Another Brendon Morris tweet:

I'll stand by my sources on Joe Mitchell, but either way, mark Sept. 13, 2013 on your schedules. Lamar vs. #OKState at BPS. Bum bum bum.

I'm guessing Mitchell wants to visit the Lamar campus Wednesday before asking for a release.

Agree coachacola!

I may be the only guy that has Lamar and Oklahoma State as my 2 favorite trams. I have been an OSU season ticket holder since 2007 and follow the OSU boards although I do not have any inside info on OSU. I am a Lamar graduate but left Beaumont a few months after they discontinued their football program in 1989.

It was reported that Joe Mitchell was working out with OSU teammates last night. I have not heard anything about anyone talking to him about the possible move from OSU. He is a good player and a good athlete. There is no indication that he has any off the field issues. He plays a hybrid “star” linebacker/safety position and is behind Shaun Lewis on the depth chart. Shaun was a Freshman All American several years ago and should be an All American candidate this year. The newest depth chart listed Lyndell Johnson as second team at this position. Lyndell is also an exceptional athlete and made a very positive impression last year on special teams. One would assume that Joe is upset by his position on the depth chart. Nonetheless, he is a good player and would be a very positive addition to the Lamar program.

Hershel Sims is an outstanding prospect and was a blue chip recruit. There has been a fair amount published concerning his recent issues. One can only hope he gets his head on straight. If so, he should be real difference maker. He is the kind of guy that can take over a game.

The departure of Kevin Johnson is somewhat surprising, at least for the casual fan. OSU is somewhat thin at receiver. They are looking for someone to step up and claim a spot in the rotation. Don’t know a lot about Johnson, except that he was heavily recruited and many of the fans were hoping he would be a big contributor.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

I may be the only guy that has Lamar and Oklahoma State as my 2 favorite trams. I have been an OSU season ticket holder since 2007 and follow the OSU boards although I do not have any inside info on OSU. I am a Lamar graduate but left Beaumont a few months after they discontinued their football program in 1989.

It was reported that Joe Mitchell was working out with OSU teammates last night. I have not heard anything about anyone talking to him about the possible move from OSU. He is a good player and a good athlete. There is no indication that he has any off the field issues. He plays a hybrid “star” linebacker/safety position and is behind Shaun Lewis on the depth chart. Shaun was a Freshman All American several years ago and should be an All American candidate this year. The newest depth chart listed Lyndell Johnson as second team at this position. Lyndell is also an exceptional athlete and made a very positive impression last year on special teams. One would assume that Joe is upset by his position on the depth chart. Nonetheless, he is a good player and would be a very positive addition to the Lamar program.

Hershel Sims is an outstanding prospect and was a blue chip recruit. There has been a fair amount published concerning his recent issues. One can only hope he gets his head on straight. If so, he should be real difference maker. He is the kind of guy that can take over a game.

The departure of Kevin Johnson is somewhat surprising, at least for the casual fan. OSU is somewhat thin at receiver. They are looking for someone to step up and claim a spot in the rotation. Don’t know a lot about Johnson, except that he was heavily recruited and many of the fans were hoping he would be a big contributor.

Sounds like since you live near Stillwater seems like you follow OSU closely. Hope you have the oportunity to follow LU and maybe get down and see a game at the very nicely renovated Provost Umphrey Stadium (the old Cardinal Stadium). I think you will like what you find. Hopefully this years team will take off and exceed expectations with the recent additions and the recruiting class to go along with the returning players.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually live in Dallas but my daughter has been in Stillwater for the last 5 years and it appears as though she will stay.

I followed Lamar football when it wasn’t the popular thing to do. I am elated at the response the community and the students have provided for the football team since their return and would love to see a game in Beaumont. Since my daughter is in Oklahoma, however, I generally head north on weekends rather than south. I’ve been lurking on the site for a while and have seen Lamar play on ESPN 3 several times.

GO CARDINALS!

Anything further on Joe Mitchell coming to LU?

Some are still saying its going to happen or near "a done deal," but i haven't heard anything further about a visit today and Woodard was actually out of the state today......so who knows. I'm still digging because the smoke hasn't fully cleared on this one.

Looks like it will happen according to Brendon Morris:

RT @UhLexx_: Joe has officially transferred to Lamar University .. He'll be home tomorrow afternoon!

I followed the UhLexx link on twitter. That's Joe Mitchell's wife (or girlfriend) close friend who tweeted that Joe Mitchell has officially transferred to Lamar.

Link: http://ocollysports.tumblr.com/post/27579302407/sources-joe-mitchell-officially-transfers-to-lamar

Looks like it will happen according to Brendon Morris:

RT @UhLexx_: Joe has officially transferred to Lamar University .. He'll be home tomorrow afternoon!

I followed the UhLexx link on twitter. That's Joe Mitchell's wife (or girlfriend) who tweeted that Joe Mitchell has officially transferred to Lamar.

Good news, Coach!

Guest CardAmbassador

Well, I'm definitely going to need to go to the OKST game next year now. :)

Great pick up for the team, can't wait for summer practice to begin.