Two Games will be on the SLC-TV

coachacola

attendance killer

So basically if Lamar treats their games like real college football games (Saturday afternoons and/or on TV) then nobody will attend? You can't blame Lamar for that, they're not running a HS program. Anyway, they'll still probably have more fans than most of the other games around the conference.

I find it odd that they're televising two home LU games. However, we do have the best stadium in the conference. I guess it makes sense to showcase it as much as possible.

id say we are tied with mcneese with best stadium in the conferece just because they can hold more fans.

truth is the truth...and yes...afternoon games and/or putting them on the tube will hurt attendance...anyone who doesnt think so is :

a) too young to remember LU football from the past and the sad number of fans that came to day games..or

b)just an idiot

which one are you, nasty? both?

truth is the truth...and yes...afternoon games and/or putting them on the tube will hurt attendance...anyone who doesnt think so is :

a) too young to remember LU football from the past and the sad number of fans that came to day games..or

b)just an idiot

which one are you, nasty? both?

Well, since your #2, I will go with #1.

I was actually a player in the "past" and I remember all too well how bad things were. Apparently you're one of the remaining, negative, non contributing members of that old mindset. Never a positive thing to say about anything going on. Instead of encouraging people to attend games and participate, you find something negative to say about just about everything that gets posted on this board. You're probably one of those people that use the excuse of being a "realist"..well, you know what they say about excuses don't you?

You can keep you old, negative a$$ at home on Saturdays. We don't need you.

Love-

Nasty

attendance killer

If they're competitive this season they can play at anytime and attendance will be fine. If they have any 70-point beatdowns again attendance will suffer. To me its really that simple.

Sam has played all afternoon games for as long as I can remember and there is one more factor to good attendance at an afternoon game, and that is how well are UT and ATM doing at that point in the season and who are they playing if they are playing that afternoon. Southeast Texas is the t-shirt fan capital of Texas some of which can be attributed to two decades of LU grads that didn't have a football team to support. Its the same problem Mcneese has when LSU plays a night game instead of the usual SEC on CBS 230 game.

Guest CardAmbassador

I would say there are definitely T-shirt fans in the area. But I don't think it affects attendance as much in this area since both schools are so far away. SHSU is an hour from College Station so I can see the effect as being much stronger there. Same thing for TxST being 30 minutes from Austin. We definitely have the T-shirt fans but they don't have any big options that are close.

Let's just win some games so people will come to the games. If we manage to be competitive I think we will see steady strong attendance. I agree though, night games have better attendance and are just more fun.

Obviously winning is important for attendance, but it has to be done consistently over the long haul. If you don't know what to expect one season to the next then a lot of fans will wait until the team starts winning to show up. Then when they do and the team starts losing again then they lose interest because the loyalty towards the team hasn't been earned yet.

All the teams from 25 + years ago sucked. Then combine that with essentially no marketing plan and almost half the student population we have today and that's why attendance sucked. Today we have advertising galore. I've aren commercials, billboards, newspaper ads, and radio ads like crazy. We have places like Academy selling LU gear like crazy. We have a lot more students who live on campus or next to campus. All that should help make the games have higher attendance then 25 years ago. Plus the day game will keep the temperature 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the night games so that will help. If the team can just stay competitive in every game and win the ones they should, that will help. And don't forget we still have 2 night games.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Key to attendance for the SLU game will be if we are competive against either ULL or Hawaii. Key to attendance for SHSU will be the record at the time.

This is right on point!

Whether attendance drops a little or not, tv on the SouthlandTV network and ESPN3 is a good thing. It's good advertisement for the University. If the games were just locally broadcast, it might be different, but these are broadcast all over Texas, all over Louisiana, in Little Rock, AR and Tulsa, OK. They might not be the ratings winner in their area, but every bit helps.

For the televised games, I'm just going to set the dvr to record and make the drive from Houston to Beaumont to watch the real thing. It's a lot better experience. Just walking through the tailgate area is reason enough.

I agree, too. It is MUCH different than it was 20something years ago. In ALL aspects. Why do you think these kids from big D1 schools give LU consideration? (and not all of them are looking for a second chance) its because there are some AMAZING things going on all around Lamar. I am proud to be a Cardinal!