Southland Conference expands to 14 teams effective July 1st

LAZEEK

Guest eagle eye
Help me out here. Why, when Lamar is getting spanked in football in the SLC, do you want to move to the Sunbelt Conference? We are still trying to get our legs under us and it's been hard enough without moving to the SBC. I have way more hope for future success in basketball because I think Coach Knight is better game coach than Ray Woodard. There's no question Woodard is able to recruit well but it doesn't seem to translate to the field. In fact, despite some nice signings the old cliche about being strong in the trenches has eluded him to this point. Until we get much better in the O-line and D-line we will continue to struggle. I just don't understand why people want to change conferences right now.

Help me out here. Why, when Lamar is getting spanked in football in the SLC, do you want to move to the Sunbelt Conference? We are still trying to get our legs under us and it's been hard enough without moving to the SBC. I have way more hope for future success in basketball because I think Coach Knight is better game coach than Ray Woodard. There's no question Woodard is able to recruit well but it doesn't seem to translate to the field. In fact, despite some nice signings the old cliche about being strong in the trenches has eluded him to this point. Until we get much better in the O-line and D-line we will continue to struggle. I just don't understand why people want to change conferences right now.

It's very easy. IAA or whatever they call it might seem fun, but playing at the highest level is just that - playing at the highest level. It goes along with the rest of your University.

I guarantee that Lamar could and would field a competitive FBS program. By default, you would have some pretty solid talent to choice from. And support would be through the roof. If Troy, AL can support our team, Beaumont would x10. I still don't know what happened in the 90's to your athletic department, but everyone needs to get over that and move forward.

OK, wake up!!! We cannot win in the SLC and we get really good recruits. Duh!! Could it be we have no coaching?? Strength and conditioning is a joke, offensive scheme is a joke and just as many players leave as we recruit. You think moving to the sunbelt will fix that? They tried to find a place for Berry our QB at some D2 school and wanted him to leave and then started him for 6 games last year. Lamar facilities, fans and program is great but the coaching.... is like a mercedes benz with Stevie Wonder driving...

It's very easy. IAA or whatever they call it might seem fun, but playing at the highest level is just that - playing at the highest level. It goes along with the rest of your University.

I guarantee that Lamar could and would field a competitive FBS program. By default, you would have some pretty solid talent to choice from. And support would be through the roof. If Troy, AL can support our team, Beaumont would x10. I still don't know what happened in the 90's to your athletic department, but everyone needs to get over that and move forward.

+1

OK, wake up!!! We cannot win in the SLC and we get really good recruits. Duh!! Could it be we have no coaching?? Strength and conditioning is a joke, offensive scheme is a joke and just as many players leave as we recruit. You think moving to the sunbelt will fix that? They tried to find a place for Berry our QB at some D2 school and wanted him to leave and then started him for 6 games last year. Lamar facilities, fans and program is great but the coaching.... is like a mercedes benz with Stevie Wonder driving...

It's easier to change coaching than to change conferences. If Lamar has a chance to go back to the Sun Belt then they should take it.

If LU was in the Sun Belt I bet the PA qb would have signed. Twenty more scholarships builds depth. Double $$$ for playing the big boys. Can schedule an FBS school at home.

Also I don't like the idea of a 14 team confernce with two schools in transition. What do the divisions look like in 3 years.

East UNO, Northwestern St, McNeese, UCA, SELA, Nicholls, ORU

West CC, Sam, UIC, Houston Baptist, Abiline, SFA, Lamar

East Five football schools

West Six football schools

It's easier to change coaching than to change conferences. If Lamar has a chance to go back to the Sun Belt then they should take it.

I have to agree with ya coach. Thats an excellent point. Coaching will be exposed even more on a higher level. Thanks for the quote.

If LU was in the Sun Belt I bet the PA qb would have signed. Twenty more scholarships builds depth. Double $$$ for playing the big boys. Can schedule an FBS school at home.

Also I don't like the idea of a 14 team confernce with two schools in transition. What do the divisions look like in 3 years.

East UNO, Northwestern St, McNeese, UCA, SELA, Nicholls, ORU

West CC, Sam, UIC, Houston Baptist, Abiline, SFA, Lamar

East Five football schools

West Six football schools

No divisions, just rotating 8 or the 9 teams in your conference play. Check out Katfans and you can get a glimpse of the schedules.

I read the SLC release and they don't really know what they will do once the transition period is over for ACU and ICW, but a rotating schedule of who you skip is worse in my opinion. As that means you don't necessarily play your true rival every year and if multiple teams have a one loss season you may not have a head to head matchup or division play to break the tie.

I read the SLC release and they don't really know what they will do once the transition period is over for ACU and ICW, but a rotating schedule of who you skip is worse in my opinion. As that means you don't necessarily play your true rival every year and if multiple teams have a one loss season you may not have a head to head matchup or division play to break the tie.

Before the Big 10 added Nebraska they had a modified rotating schedule...and Ohio State and Michigan still played each other every year. It may not be a true "rotating" schedule but it can be made to work and keep annual rivalry games

I think the SLC expanded to 14/11 because they are anticipating 2 football schools leaving within the next 4 years. They'll be back down to a 12/9 setup with 8 football conference games and divisions for the other sports. I would not be surprised to see LU and SHSU jump to the Sun Belt at the same time.

You'll still play your rival. They released a photo a couple months ago showing the primary, secondary and tertiary rivals, which would be on your schedule every year and then the others would rotate.

So if your "rival sucks" and the upper tier conference team is not your rival you get a potential advantage in that say your Sam and they make SFA your rival, your rotation drops McNeese and UCA every two or three years and get patsies like Lamar has been so far every year as your secondary rival. No offense to the SLC but that is stupid.

So if your "rival sucks" and the upper tier conference team is not your rival you get a potential advantage in that say your Sam and they make SFA your rival, your rotation drops McNeese and UCA every two or three years and get patsies like Lamar has been so far every year as your secondary rival. No offense to the SLC but that is stupid.

I misspoke, it's only 2 rivals. Here's the thread on Katfans:

http://katfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=7112.0