Woodard awaits Contract Situation

puddin tane

I think I'd be ok with him getting a year extension with the terms of having to play competitive OOC games...playing 2 sub D-I teams does nothing to prepare us for conference...then factor in those teams went 1-19 collectively makes that point more apparent. After the Sam game I blew a gasket...still feel like we came in completely unprepared but it looks as if Sam turned out better than I expected...but the fact remains we got out coached and quit. Back to the scheduling...if I remember correctly 2014 was the last year for a while we could schedule 12 games...so with Baylor and an 8 game conference schedule that'll leave 2 more OOC team...would love to see 2 average to above average FCS (NO SWAC) but if we have to dip into D-II for one game it needs to at least be a decent D-II team...maybe like TAMU-Commerce

Here's why I think Woodard will get a contract extension:

He was aiming for 9 wins at the start of the season and they fell short by 1 OT loss to UCA.

They've been making slow and steady improvement each year.

This is not a senior-laden team so they should show improvement next year (even with the loss of Berry and Roberts).

And finally, he has friends in high places at Lamar.

I think I'd be ok with him getting a year extension with the terms of having to play competitive OOC games...playing 2 sub D-I teams does nothing to prepare us for conference...then factor in those teams went 1-19 collectively makes that point more apparent. After the Sam game I blew a gasket...still feel like we came in completely unprepared but it looks as if Sam turned out better than I expected...but the fact remains we got out coached and quit. Back to the scheduling...if I remember correctly 2014 was the last year for a while we could schedule 12 games...so with Baylor and an 8 game conference schedule that'll leave 2 more OOC team...would love to see 2 average to above average FCS (NO SWAC) but if we have to dip into D-II for one game it needs to at least be a decent D-II team...maybe like TAMU-Commerce

A&M Commerece has half of the father/son duo I had on my wish list to replace Woodard...along with Delta state's coach.

Don't like em, but SWAC games are rather well attended

Ray Ray....showed some actual emotion post game and on his show...needs to do it more often.

I had been on the fence but I liked the things Ray said in his press conference. The Southland is a tough football FCS conference. I would give him two or three more years. I was also totally deflated after we appeared to quit against Sam and SELA. I was at the McNeese game and that performance (other than a couple crazy play calls IMHO) turned me around. Be careful what you wish for will always be in my head after Pat Knight. Ray appears to put high character kids in the program and gets rid of the trouble makers regardless of their talent level. We are making progress although not as fast as we might wish.

I thought we weren't playing Baylor. Thought Baylor was buying us out of that game. I hope they do/did. I'm ok with one DII game, one FBS game, and two FCS OOC games. I'd prefer it not be SWAC but those schools do seem to travel well and bring a good crowd with them. I'd prefer one FBS and three FCS...but I can understand wanting to play one "easy" game and I imagine the DII/NAIA schools need games.

As far as FBS...please don't schedule those crazy offensive minded schools with a-hole coaches: A&M, Baylor, Oregon etc. I'd prefer someone different...like a mid/lower tier big 12, or mid tier big 10 or ACC school just to see if we could compete at all. Of course, the key to the FBS game is probably $$$.

If FBS schools stop playing FCS schools that will really hurt FCS financially.

Here's why I think Woodard will get a contract extension:

He was aiming for 9 wins at the start of the season and they fell short by 1 OT loss to UCA.

They've been making slow and steady improvement each year.

This is not a senior-laden team so they should show improvement next year (even with the loss of Berry and Roberts).

And finally, he has friends in high places at Lamar.

Beating McNeese swung me to keeping him around. The 8-4 record really doesn't do much for me given the OOC schools we played. I guess Grambling turned out to be a good win. I am still disgusted with how we played Sam and SE La. Those were flat out embarrassing.

But, losing Berry is huge. And we never did what I thought we should do...play the backup qb's in the blowouts but let them actually run the offense so they'd get some experience. We bring em in just to hand off. I think that is poor coaching. I know we don't want to try and 'run up' the score but that's not the point. The point is getting those guys some real game experience and we didn't do that. I'm not sure what we have at qb...I'm not very optimistic about it....

Also, I thought we lost quite a few seniors? McVey? A couple of offensive linemen? Beard? Okafor? I really like Barret so we should be good at tight end as long as he doesn't get hurt. And losing Roberts will definitely hurt because of his speed/deep threat.

Guest austinred
I like the direction of the team. Can't emphasize enough how difficult it is to start a team from scratch. I think the special teams play is an indication of lack of depth. That should improve over time. I hope Coach Woodard gets a long contract extension.

Guest austinred

Here is a history of LU football coaches prior to shutdown of the program:

Vernon Glass: 63 - 75

Bob Frederick: 76 - 78

Larry Kennan: 79 - 81

Ken Stephens: 82 - 85

Ray Alborn: 86 - 89

If you keep replacing coaches every three to four years like in the 70's and 80's, you will never get any traction. Give Coach Woodard a five year extension.

Well I have to give credit where credit is due...give Woodard a 3 year contract. He beat McNeese and came up short in OT by a fumble in the Central Arkansas game and went 8-4. Would have made the playoffs. I wouldn't have guessed it after the Sam showing. Of course that's College Football and why I love it!

I am not keeping score but how many that now want Woodard to get an extension were wanting to replace him after the Sam game? The next few years are 11 game seasons and unless your competing for SLC championships or loading up the non-con with lower level teams it will be difficult to repeat the 8 wins. I thought before that while the program wasn't at the level the average fan wanted to see that he deserved an extension because the program is improving every year. He will need more than one year as next year will be difficult to show improvement as the three biggest pieces of the offense have to be replaced.

"I am not keeping score but how many that now want Woodard to get an extension were wanting to replace him after the Sam game?"

well..I wanted him canned after Sam, but I definitely wouldn't say I want to give him a long extension. I don't like a program with a question mark at the HC position. With this years schedule, I think 8 wins should have been expected. he achieved what was expected. Nothing more. if he get an extension..ok, if he gets canned..ok

I'm sure the powers that be have have known for a while ..figuring in different scenarios and game outcomes... ...

Here is a history of LU football coaches prior to shutdown of the program:

Vernon Glass: 63 - 75

Bob Frederick: 76 - 78

Larry Kennan: 79 - 81

Ken Stephens: 82 - 85

Ray Alborn: 86 - 89

If you keep replacing coaches every three to four years like in the 70's and 80's, you will never get any traction. Give Coach Woodard a five year extension.

Frederick was the "nice guy, in way over his head"and Stephens was a fricking moron. Keenan left on his own...Alborn, in my opinion, was turning things around and the program got canned

Here's how LU has fared in the Massey composite rankings each year:

2010: 90

2011: 103

2012: 89

2013: 74

2014: 49

Conference standings:

2010: 1-3 (technically not conference games)

2011: 2-6

2012: 1-6

2013: 2-5

2014: 5-3

Points for/Points against (per conference games):

2010: 17.3 - 41.8

2011: 21.4 - 45.6

2012: 17.9 - 34.3

2013: 32.7 - 36.3

2014: 39.6 - 29.8

Offensive Depth Chart:

losing 5 seniors (all starters): WR Roberts, QB Berry, OL Shead, OL McCormack, TE McVey

returning 7 juniors, 4 sophomores, 5 freshmen (4 OL plus QB Mitchell)

Defensive Depth Chart:

losing 4 seniors (all starters): DE Okafor and Curran, LB Beard (might return), DB Hunter

returning 7 juniors, 8 sophomores, 3 freshmen

(8 of top 10 tacklers will be back, 9 if Beard returns)

Special Teams Depth Chart:

no seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores and 3 freshmen

With steady improvement the last 3 years and a relatively young team, it seems that making a coaching change now would set the program back. My question is if Woodard stays is Kueck staying or will he be replaced either way?

Here's how LU has fared in the Massey composite rankings each year:

2010: 90

2011: 103

2012: 89

2013: 74

2014: 49

Conference standings:

2010: 1-3 (technically not conference games)

2011: 2-6

2012: 1-6

2013: 2-5

2014: 5-3

Points for/Points against (per conference games):

2010: 17.3 - 41.8

2011: 21.4 - 45.6

2012: 17.9 - 34.3

2013: 32.7 - 36.3

2014: 39.6 - 29.8

Offensive Depth Chart:

losing 5 seniors (all starters): WR Roberts, QB Berry, OL Shead, OL McCormack, TE McVey

returning 7 juniors, 4 sophomores, 5 freshmen (4 OL plus QB Mitchell)

Defensive Depth Chart:

losing 4 seniors (all starters): DE Okafor and Curran, LB Beard (might return), DB Hunter

returning 7 juniors, 8 sophomores, 3 freshmen

(8 of top 10 tacklers will be back, 9 if Beard returns)

Special Teams Depth Chart:

no seniors, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores and 3 freshmen

With steady improvement the last 3 years and a relatively young team, it seems that making a coaching change now would set the program back. My question is if Woodard stays is Kueck staying or will he be replaced either way?

Kuecks offense was 6th in the nation.

my question is if Woodard stays, is Mcgallion staying?

Assuming Woodard is extended, I don't see him replacing any coaches unless one of them chooses to leave on their own.

If that's the case, I hope the special teams coach decides to take the first bus out of town. We would be the post season this year had it not been for our special teams play. Sorry, Bailey....but you gotta go.

Coach Woodard has helped Lamar a great deal in fundraising.At our level this is one of many factors in a thorough evaluation.Attendance,players academic progress,relations with other coaches,relations with faculty,staying within budget,following NCAA rules are other things evaluated that fans aren't fully aware of.The 8-4 record is a plus and yes the schedule was a bit weak and yes we may have been fortunate in a game and not so in another but in the end 8-4 is a step up.Whatever is decided I will support the Cards.