Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of browsed through that yesterday as well. Noticed that Peveto made $460,000 last year at LSU. While ~$200,000 for the HC position at Lamar would be better than nothing as he's currently unemployed, gotta wonder if he would try to get on with another Power 5 school in a similar capacity to keep his salary closer to what he was making. Things I've read about him are that he is an excellent recruiter. Big boys pay big bucks for those kinds of guys.

He sucked at Northwest........next

Edited by puddin tane

From coachingsearch.com...

Lamar (TX): Penn State analyst Ron Hudson is in the mix for the Lamar head coaching job. Hudson was previously the offensive line coach at Nevada and has coached at UTEP and Texas A&M-Kingsville.

He spent at time at ULL as OC and assistant head coach from 2005 to 2010.

His coaching philosophy: http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2010/06/zone-blocking-run-hudson-ull.html

Nothing for the last six years? What is a Penn State Analyst? How about a Uber coach, when he is not driving? If Hudson is on the short list, it don't look good.

If you are looking at Wikipedia that is a different Ron Hudson. The Ron Hudson mentioned here had been at Nevada as the OL coach for three seasons before being an analyst at Penn State. As I posted earlier in this thread in regards to Kevin Barbay, analyst at the FBS levels are ways for teams to have more than the NCAA approved coaches as part of the program. They do a lot behind the scenes in terms of scouting and game planning to allow the other coaches to concentrate on development and recruiting.

This Ron Hudson's resume reads:

1993 - Illinois St. (TEs)

1994 - Urbana (OC)

1995 - The Citadel (TEs)

1996 - Lenoir Rhyne (OL/Recruit Coord)

1997 - Kent St. (TEs/ST Coord)

1998-99 - SE Missouri (OL)

2000 - Bowling Green (OL)

2001-03 - UTEP (TE/DE/Recruit Coord)

2004 - Texas A&M Kingsville (OL)

2005-10 - UL-L (Assistant HC/OC/OL)

2011 - New Mexico (OL)

2012 - UMass (OL/Run Game Coord)

2013-15 - Nevada (OL)

2016 - Penn St. (Analyst)

Word I got last night is that there were over 500 applications for the job and that has been narrowed to 25. There is a lot of interest in this job.

SHSU OC Phil Longo might not be a candidate anymore as I'm seeing reports that Ole Miss has contacted him in regards to their open OC position. I'm also seeing reports SHSU HC KC Keeler is a candidate for the open HC position at Temple. To me, that puts a little more pressure to get this done a little quicker because if the SHSU job opens up there will be a lot more interest in it than Lamar.

The Port Arthur News is reporting that Rob Ash former Montana State Bobcat football coach has applied for the job. Guy was a winner. He was able to recruit well against Montana and North Dakota State... That is hard to do for the school in Bozeman. He would be a good candidate... As per the article he has ties to Texas.

The Port Arthur News is reporting that Rob Ash former Montana State Bobcat football coach has applied for the job. Guy was a winner. He was able to recruit well against Montana and North Dakota State... That is hard to do for the school in Bozeman. He would be a good candidate... As per the article he has ties to Texas.

Looks like he works at Arkansas as their offensive analyst. He's not young at 65 years of age.

During his nine-year tenure at MSU, he totaled 70 victories, three Big Sky Conference championships and four Football Championship Subdivision playoff berths. Ash is one of three coaches in Bobcat history to win three Big Sky titles and the only coach to lead the program to three consecutive crowns. He also was FCS coach of the year in 2011.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/football/former-montana-state-coach-rob-ash-hired-at-arkansas/article_26490ace-bd9b-5993-941d-24cb9692e25f.html

He isn't a spring chicken but he is a winner. More than we can say about others named.

Would be an interesting hire given his age. Seems like he is looking for just a few years before he hung up his whistle. Coaching record speaks for its self though. In 36 years he only had 6 losing seasons and 3 of those came in his first 5 years...so 3 losing season in his last 31 years and those records were 4-6, 5-6 & 5-6.

Word I got last night is that there were over 500 applications for the job and that has been narrowed to 25. There is a lot of interest in this job.

SHSU OC Phil Longo might not be a candidate anymore as I'm seeing reports that Ole Miss has contacted him in regards to their open OC position. I'm also seeing reports SHSU HC KC Keeler is a candidate for the open HC position at Temple. To me, that puts a little more pressure to get this done a little quicker because if the SHSU job opens up there will be a lot more interest in it than Lamar.

It does not surprise me at all that there would be a lot of interest. We are hungry and prime for a winner. We have a great recruiting base between Texas and La. We are in one of the best conferences in the FCS. We have great facilities. There is no reason that someone couldn't come in here and have us competing for a conference championship VERY soon. It's a prime place for someone to come in here and have a very legitimate chance to do good things and make a name for themselves. Hopefully we will pony up the $$ it takes and get the right person in here!! And DO IT SOON!!!!

From 2008-2015 (excluding 2009 due to lack of data) Ash'a Montana St. team averaged 15 players from Texas per year. I was a little surprised at that number due to the sheer distance Bozeman, MT is from here...roughly 1800 miles from Beaumont. Most of the kids were either from the Dallas area or Houston with a few sprinkled in from Austin and one from Beaumont.

From 2008-2015 (excluding 2009 due to lack of data) Ash'a Montana St. team averaged 15 players from Texas per year. I was a little surprised at that number due to the sheer distance Bozeman, MT is from here...roughly 1800 miles from Beaumont. Most of the kids were either from the Dallas area or Houston with a few sprinkled in from Austin and one from Beaumont.

If he can recruit texas kids to Bozeman they guy can recruit.. Bozeman... a place that is cold as hell with nothing to do... and you are U of Ms little brother.

I have nothing against Ash being 65. Bill Snyder at K-State is 77 and he's still going strong. With several former FCS head coaches interested in the job I'm feeling pretty good that LU will end up with a good head coach. But you never know, they may pull a stunner and hire some unknown like they did with Woodard.