Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

According to your reasoning, the worst team in the FCS is better than any high school team in the country. Membership in an organization is just a signature on a piece of paper. On the field is where it counts. Who decided that this past team was "full of guys with enough skill and ability to play college ball"? Hint, it's the guy who just coached Lamar to a 3-8 record and one winning record in the last seven years. A coach that everyone on this thread wants gone and replaced, like yesterday. Coach Hank Carter has been at Lake Travis High school, as the HC, and is 61-8 with multiple championship rings and this years team went 15-1 and won the highest class division in Texas football by destroying the Woodlands. Lamar struggles to recruit players with any stars, how many players on Lake Travis do you think are rated? Without wasting the time to look it up, you can bet that it's more than what is on Lamar's team. I'm not knocking the Lamar players, they worked hard, played damn hard, and for a coaching staff that just wasn't up to it. I'm knocking the arrogance of Goliath , who thinks that some puny High school David can't beat my ass because I play for a college team. David wishes that he could sling a rock as well as that high school QB Charlie Brewer. All he did was complete almost 80% of his passes with 50TD/2 INT and their defense is as good as their offence. Nobody bet that David would beat Goliath or that Trump would beat the Wicked Witch, but they did. Add this guys name to the coaching list. He's fairly young, consistently and hugely successful, and he's been to the high school mountaintop more times then Nepalese Sherpa's.

All that I am saying is that a team at the FCS has much more talent than even stacked high school teams like LT, and over the course of a game that would show.

Also, not only the coaches that just coached the team to a 3-8 record are the ones that decide that the players have what it takes to play the game at that level. The other coaches that come into contact with players during recruiting have a part in that. Several of the players on the team had offers to other schools, but chose to come to Lamar.

One more thing, I think you and I can both agree that the team would not have finished 3-8 if they would've had better luck with injuries. Losing an All American RB, 4 QBs, and being forced to play without our Preseason All American RG for the majority of the season really derailed the season. I believe that the 3 game win streak that we went on is what the team would've looked like for the majority of the season had everyone stayed healthy.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dracula, you said that you bet Lake Travis has more players with stars than Lamar does. I see why you didn't want to actually look it up, but I did. For 2016 they have exactly ONE player according to Yahoo. You should really stop because you keep embarrassing yourself more and more.

On the flip side looking at 247 for the 2017 class and they have 6 mid 3-stars. And of the 6 the QB is actually the lowest rated. They also have 2 other guys with with FBS that aren't rated.

Having said all that, star ratings at times don't mean crap. Best player we've had since the rebirth (and probably ever) didn't even have a profile on any site.

When comparing an FCS team to a HS team there are several things to factor in. Players at the college level were the star players on their HS team and most HS teams will send only a handful at most to D-I teams.

But the biggest thing is that consider how few true freshman actually come in and make an immediate impact. Then realize that they are a year older and more advanced than they were in HS. Many HS kids aren't developed enough to make an immediate impact. A college DL vs a HS OL is just unfair.

Ok, everybody just dogpile me, but while you're jumping on the pile remember one thing, I bite and I mean that literally. I hate to break the news to everyone but the Southland Conference is not some mega conference bursting at the seams with multiple star recruits. We are a bit full of ourselves to think that some high schooler, or for that matter, some high school coach couldn't make or successfully compete, aka put some butts in the seats of Cardinal Stadium, in the Southland Conference. Lamar has dominated and won again the conference Cross Country Championship but the last member of the team came in at #60. Even though the distances are different, look up the results of the 2016 Texas UIL Cross Country Championship and make a decision as to whether a high schooler has a better cross country time, than our guy at #60. I say yes he does and I only need one guy to prove my point.

Lake Travis High School just won the 2016 6A division 1 Football Championship. Over the last several years, their success at winning championships is ridiculous. Their coach is Hank Carter. If he brought his team to Cardinal Stadium and squared off against Woodard and the Cards, I'm picking Lake Travis. Forget Carthell, and some CBS analyst, go and get this guy and bring some of his staff with him. Okay, continue to dogpile, but you have been warned.

crack kills.....

Ok, everybody just dogpile me, but while you're jumping on the pile remember one thing, I bite and I mean that literally. I hate to break the news to everyone but the Southland Conference is not some mega conference bursting at the seams with multiple star recruits. We are a bit full of ourselves to think that some high schooler, or for that matter, some high school coach couldn't make or successfully compete, aka put some butts in the seats of Cardinal Stadium, in the Southland Conference. Lamar has dominated and won again the conference Cross Country Championship but the last member of the team came in at #60. Even though the distances are different, look up the results of the 2016 Texas UIL Cross Country Championship and make a decision as to whether a high schooler has a better cross country time, than our guy at #60. I say yes he does and I only need one guy to prove my point.

Lake Travis High School just won the 2016 6A division 1 Football Championship. Over the last several years, their success at winning championships is ridiculous. Their coach is Hank Carter. If he brought his team to Cardinal Stadium and squared off against Woodard and the Cards, I'm picking Lake Travis. Forget Carthell, and some CBS analyst, go and get this guy and bring some of his staff with him. Okay, continue to dogpile, but you have been warned.

OMG, I can't even believe we are having this conversation. The more you type the more ignorant you sound!!

All that I am saying is that a team at the FCS has much more talent than even stacked high school teams like LT, and over the course of a game that would show.

Also, not only the coaches that just coached the team to a 3-8 record are the ones that decide that the players have what it takes to play the game at that level. The other coaches that come into contact with players during recruiting have a part in that. Several of the players on the team had offers to other schools, but chose to come to Lamar.

One more thing, I think you and I can both agree that the team would not have finished 3-8 if they would've had better luck with injuries. Losing an All American RB, 4 QBs, and being forced to play without our Preseason All American RG for the majority of the season really derailed the season. I believe that the 3 game win streak that we went on is what the team would've looked like for the majority of the season had everyone stayed healthy.

This!!

On the flip side looking at 247 for the 2017 class and they have 6 mid 3-stars. And of the 6 the QB is actually the lowest rated. They also have 2 other guys with with FBS that aren't rated.

Having said all that, star ratings at times don't mean crap. Best player we've had since the rebirth (and probably ever) didn't even have a profile on any site.

When comparing an FCS team to a HS team there are several things to factor in. Players at the college level were the star players on their HS team and most HS teams will send only a handful at most to D-I teams.

But the biggest thing is that consider how few true freshman actually come in and make an immediate impact. Then realize that they are a year older and more advanced than they were in HS. Many HS kids aren't developed enough to make an immediate impact. A college DL vs a HS OL is just unfair.

And this!!

May seem like; but you don't want him.

What's the reasoning behind that? I always thought it was strange he was fired after 1 losing season but haven't seen anything in regards to NCAA violations that might have lead to that. Would assume it would have to be a dispute between the he and the Administration.

What's the reasoning behind that? I always thought it was strange he was fired after 1 losing season but haven't seen anything in regards to NCAA violations that might have lead to that. Would assume it would have to be a dispute between the he and the Administration.

The official reason given was not meeting the expectations of the program.

Basically he promotes his record of winning but when you break down his win loss record it's largely because he schedules easy teams on the non conference games and then usually beats the lower tier teams on the schedule.

Against our biggest rival he was 2-7; even having award winning defense and quarterbacks. All of the losses were blowouts-meaning by 14 points or more.

In the playoffs his record was 2-4 with three of those losses being blowouts.

Against top tier opponents his record was 12-25 with 16 of those loses being blowouts.

Where he shined was a 89% win ratio against lower tier teams.

In nine years we had 2 playoff wins and 2 Cat/griz wins and wins against unranked lower tier teams.

In his final year we paid for a company his son works for to have his son on the sideline and give analytical advice as whether to go for it on 4th down and other similar decisions. Our team was used as a guinea pig for his son's employer.

He wasn't fired because of one losing season, he was fired because people finally saw through his inability to win big games and coach into the playoffs.

Thanks for the analysis. It honestly sounds like a lot of what we've gone through the last 7 seasons. Schedule some cupcakes to pad the record and beat the bottom feeders in conference play. However the last 2 seasons we turned into one of those bottom feeders. Our one winning season had 8 wins:

1 NAIA team

1 D-II team transitioning from D-III

2 FCS teams transitioning from D-II

1 FCS team in its 2nd year of football

1 FCS team in the midst of a 25+ game losing steak

1 - FCS team that had won 2 games combine the previous 2 seasons

The other win was against our rival who was on their 4th string QB and it took a controversial call and a FG as time expired to win that one.

But as you can see on the surface Ash is an upgrade from what we've had. In the words of Jim Mora...Playoffs?!?!

The official reason given was no

t meeting the expectations of the program.

Basically he promotes his record of winning but when you break down his win loss record it's largely because he schedules easy teams on the non conference games and then usually beats the lower tier teams on the schedule.

Against our biggest rival he was 2-7; even having award winning defense and quarterbacks. All of the losses were blowouts-meaning by 14 points or more.

In the playoffs his record was 2-4 with three of those losses being blowouts.

Against top tier opponents his record was 12-25 with 16 of those loses being blowouts.

Where he shined was a 89% win ratio against lower tier teams.

In nine years we had 2 playoff wins and 2 Cat/griz wins and wins against unranked lower tier teams.

In his final year we paid for a company his son works for to have his son on the sideline and give analytical advice as whether to go for it on 4th down and other similar decisions. Our team was used as a guinea pig for his son's employer.

He wasn't fired because of one losing season, he was fired because people finally saw through his inability to win big games and coach into the playoffs.

I will tell you I was on the Alumni Foundation Board at Montana Sate from 2002 -2015. The posters comments are nothing but lies and trash. 99% of Montana State people would agree with me. Rob Ash did a tremendous job at Montana State and is well respected nation wide. It should be obvious the poster has an ax to grind and hopefully no one at Lamar will take him seriously. No one in the state of Montana does. Rob's record and the fact he was the National coach of the year and past president of the American Football Coaches Association speak for themselves.

I will tell you I was on the Alumni Foundation Board at Montana Sate from 2002 -2015. The posters comments are nothing but lies and trash. 99% of Montana State people would agree with me. Rob Ash did a tremendous job at Montana State and is well respected nation wide. It should be obvious the poster has an ax to grind and hopefully no one at Lamar will take him seriously. No one in the state of Montana does. Rob's record and the fact he was the National coach of the year and past president of the American Football Coaches Association speak for themselves.

Wow, lies and trash? It's all stat backed. I'm not throwing out anything that can't be proven with stats. I see no need to trash Ash personally, but his record on the surface is very misleading. Furthermore your 99% of MSU agrees with you is a joke as the firing of Rob Ash had been debated for over a year and clearly the count is not 1% against Ash and 99% for Ash; otherwise he'd still be employed. Also I know others on the board who served with you who were very happy to see Rob go. Whether you like him personally or not, hiring a coach should be based on his ability to lead your team where you want to go; in the end he didn't get it done for MSU. Oh and by the way our 2016 was a losing season but we accomplished a major objective, we beat our cross state rival. Under our new coach we are 1-0 against the Griz.

Good luck Lamar in your hiring, I know for us the majority of Boosters, fans and players are thrilled we made the change.

Edited by MSU Booster

Go to the Montana State 2014 Football Guide. You will find the truth and see what he could do for Lamar.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/msubobcats.com/documents/2014/8/18/FB_Guide_2014.pdf

damn..the last thing I ever expected in SE Texas..a Montana State feud! Awesome!

ha..and I was just out thinking...dang its cold! its 46. brrrr.....