Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...and the school isn't cooperating like they are legally required...

FOIA request are easy to get around legally. There designed to be that way. Disclosing how the coaching search is going may be a good PR move, but not always....it also has zero affect on if the right hire is made. It can also be a hindrance.

Too much us being made of the consulting firm. Sometimes they don't do anything more than a background search on finalist to make sure there's nothing embarrassing in their background.

Whoever we hire needs to have connections to tx high school coaches, or be able to build them quickly. HS coaches have a BIG influence on where kids go. They also need to show they have the connections to build a good staff no matter the age, experience, etc. If they think Stump's the guy, fine. He better have given them a good roadmap of coaches he thinks he can get on staff.

Also, Puddin's obsession with throwing the ball cracks me up.

you have an above average passing game, you can beat anybody. and its more exciting. and i grew up watching UT and the wishbone. and my high school passed maybe twice a game. and then i got bob frederick...i was scarred from a young age. Chunk It!

FOIA request are easy to get around legally. There designed to be that way. Disclosing how the coaching search is going may be a good PR move, but not always....it also has zero affect on if the right hire is made. It can also be a hindrance.

Well get us some good info then. I need to decide whose bandwagon to jump on

Yes FOIA requests can be delayed with little consequence.Witness BISD examples from a few years ago.That being said Lamar generally is pretty compliant in my experiences.What is being missed here is some coaches do not want their current employer knowing they are applying for another job and wouldn't apply without some degree of confidentiality granted.I have been in that new job search situation and I would bet a few on this site have been too.Yes I am curious but not at the risk of being detrimental to the search.Texas law I am aware of limits FOIA's for public school superintendents and college president searches but not Coach searches.I have also been on college coach search committees and it is frustrating when you are sworn to secrecy and leaks routinely occurr.It causes distrust and dissension amongst the search committee.I think It is good there haven't been a lot of leaks or trial balloons.As far as my comments on positive occurrences at Lamar in athletics and in the overall university let me restate our competition is reading this and if you can't handle the many positive things that are happening around Lamar don't just bring up the negatives about individuals with such vitriol and don't expect a rebuttal..You have some valid concerns and good passion but count our blessings too.Join the Cardinals club and try to get on the board where you will learn a lot about how we are kicking our foes in many ways and providing a better experience for our athletes and fans.Maybe then you will see the cup more full than empty.

Yes FOIA requests can be delayed with little consequence.Witness BISD examples from a few years ago.That being said Lamar generally is pretty compliant in my experiences.What is being missed here is some coaches do not want their current employer knowing they are applying for another job and wouldn't apply without some degree of confidentiality granted.I have been in that new job search situation and I would bet a few on this site have been too.Yes I am curious but not at the risk of being detrimental to the search.Texas law I am aware of limits FOIA's for public school superintendents and college president searches but not Coach searches.I have also been on college coach search committees and it is frustrating when you are sworn to secrecy and leaks routinely occurr.It causes distrust and dissension amongst the search committee.I think It is good there haven't been a lot of leaks or trial balloons.As far as my comments on positive occurrences at Lamar in athletics and in the overall university let me restate our competition is reading this and if you can't handle the many positive things that are happening around Lamar don't just bring up the negatives about individuals with such vitriol and don't expect a rebuttal..You have some valid concerns and good passion but count our blessings too.Join the Cardinals club and try to get on the board where you will learn a lot about how we are kicking our foes in many ways and providing a better experience for our athletes and fans.Maybe then you will see the cup more full than empty.

Since you are speaking from an informed view, when does the HC opening officially close? If it is already closed , what is the harm of saying that we have narrowed the list to 5 candidates? I see no harm in posting the finalists if there are no legal issues.

Btw, I am a Cardinal Club member & I contribute into 4 figures, also donate to the Engineering Dept., and have participated in Lamar's Gift of Giving annually.

Edited by Skinny1

Houston Nutt was a fine coach but hasn't been an HC in several years. No Thank you. Until I hear a name like Carthell, that's currently running a successful program, I'm jumping on the Stump Bandwagon. If Stump is the guy, I would imagine that he will retain some of the current assistant coaches, if for no other reason, then to not have to start completely over and to have some consistency in the 2017 recruiting cycle. I expect an announcement early next week, after the playoffs are done.

Not many of the current assistants are worth retaining in my opinion. Special team coach, running backs, qb coach? The rest greatly underperformed and contributed to Woodard's demise. If it is Stump, he had better have some college ready assistants lined up.

Since you are speaking from an informed view, when does the HC opening officially close? If it is already closed , what is the harm of saying that we have narrowed the list to 5 candidates? I see no harm in posting the finalists if there are no legal issues.

Btw, I am a Cardinal Club member & I contribute into 4 figures, also donate to the Engineering Dept., and have participated in Lamar's Gift of Giving annually.

He pretty much already explained. Would you want your boss knowing you keep putting your hat in the ring on various jobs? Better yet, if you were a coach, would you want your potential recruits knowing?

To be fair, coaches are always looking for a better job, so I do not think that is a factor. What could be a factor is if coaches are involved in Bowl games and they do not want to share this information with their players. One would hope that might be the case.

He pretty much already explained. Would you want your boss knowing you keep putting your hat in the ring on various jobs? Better yet, if you were a coach, would you want your potential recruits knowing?
Edited by crawfish

To be fair, coaches are always looking for a better job, so I do not think that is a factor. What could be a factor is if coaches are involved in Bowl games and they do not want to share this information with their players. On would hope that might be the case.

That's your opinion. I guarantee if a kid is trying to decide between schools in the recruitment process and he finds out his potential coach is actively seeking another school to go to, it matters. That's a fact.

Nutt has been out for 5 years but working with college football for cbs. Big name to bring in good college coaches and good recruits.

Lamar's budget for assistant coaches is ok but not a "you have my attention" type of amount.

Here is a question for everyone. The Southland Conference, is it a step up from high school competition or 2 or more levels higher?

Lamar's budget for assistant coaches is ok but not a "you have my attention" type of amount.

Here is a question for everyone. The Southland Conference, is it a step up from high school competition or 2 or more levels higher?

Is that a serious question about high school competition level vs the SLC? Are you asking about level of coaching competition or actual play on the field?

I've heard through the grapevine that there will be more interviewing being done early this week. Whether they're first or final interviews, I don't know. I would imagine, if Friday is going to be the deadline, they're moving into the final round of the interviews for the guys they like. No telling if Friday's deadline is a soft one or not. The only thing that excites me to hear there's interviews going on is that Stump might not be the leading candidate at all.

Is that a serious question about high school competition level vs the SLC? Are you asking about level of coaching competition or actual play on the field?

You can not compare high school to college in any sport- especially divIII & above. Just think there is probably no Texas High School runner that can make Lamar's Cross Country team.

You can not compare high school to college in any sport- especially divIII & above. Just think there is probably no Texas High School runner that can make Lamar's Cross Country team.

Ok, everybody just dogpile me, but while you're jumping on the pile remember one thing, I bite and I mean that literally. I hate to break the news to everyone but the Southland Conference is not some mega conference bursting at the seams with multiple star recruits. We are a bit full of ourselves to think that some high schooler, or for that matter, some high school coach couldn't make or successfully compete, aka put some butts in the seats of Cardinal Stadium, in the Southland Conference. Lamar has dominated and won again the conference Cross Country Championship but the last member of the team came in at #60. Even though the distances are different, look up the results of the 2016 Texas UIL Cross Country Championship and make a decision as to whether a high schooler has a better cross country time, than our guy at #60. I say yes he does and I only need one guy to prove my point.

Lake Travis High School just won the 2016 6A division 1 Football Championship. Over the last several years, their success at winning championships is ridiculous. Their coach is Hank Carter. If he brought his team to Cardinal Stadium and squared off against Woodard and the Cards, I'm picking Lake Travis. Forget Carthell, and some CBS analyst, go and get this guy and bring some of his staff with him. Okay, continue to dogpile, but you have been warned.

Ok, everybody just dogpile me, but while you're jumping on the pile remember one thing, I bite and I mean that literally. I hate to break the news to everyone but the Southland Conference is not some mega conference bursting at the seams with multiple star recruits. We are a bit full of ourselves to think that some high schooler, or for that matter, some high school coach couldn't make or successfully compete, aka put some butts in the seats of Cardinal Stadium, in the Southland Conference. Lamar has dominated and won again the conference Cross Country Championship but the last member of the team came in at #60. Even though the distances are different, look up the results of the 2016 Texas UIL Cross Country Championship and make a decision as to whether a high schooler has a better cross country time, than our guy at #60. I say yes he does and I only need one guy to prove my point.

Lake Travis High School just won the 2016 6A division 1 Football Championship. Over the last several years, their success at winning championships is ridiculous. Their coach is Hank Carter. If he brought his team to Cardinal Stadium and squared off against Woodard and the Cards, I'm picking Lake Travis. Forget Carthell, and some CBS analyst, go and get this guy and bring some of his staff with him. Okay, continue to dogpile, but you have been warned.

Dude you are hilarious. You are delusional if u think any of these high school teams can beat Lamar you have no

Idea about sports. We are a good fcs conference and we have a good budget. What are you warning us about??? Your complete lack of sporting knowledge?? I wish that I could put the keyboard cat song on here from the blitZ on espn 97.5

This is my first time commenting on this site, but while I do understand that the coach is a great one and he would do well if he were given the job with the Cards there I do not understand how you think a high school team would match up with last seasons Cardinals. You're talking about a high school team with a lot of talent, but the majority of them won't get close to playing at the next level. While the Cards were bad this year, that is a team full of guys with enough skill and ability to play college football at the second highest level in the country, the FCS. It would not go well for LT.

There are plenty of individual players on Class 4,5 and 6A high schools that could come in and start at Lamar or any other FCS schools, but that is nowhere close to every member of any of those high school teams. Every player on Lamar's roster was at least a starter on his high school team and most were probably all district performers. There in is the difference the depth. Whether it is Craig Stump, the Lake Travis High School coach, Todd Dodge who tried to make the jump to FBS after multiple HS Championships at South Lake Carroll, the transition to FCS isn't the same as moving from one high school to another. The ability to judge the talent level needed to compete, the size and speed needed and the quality coaches for the college level are all road blocks for the high school coach attempting to make the jump. That doesn't mean that an individual coach shouldn't be considered or even given the job, it just says that there are a lot of things to consider. Personally I think Lamar needs to hit a home run on this coaching hire and that will take money and/or luck. The more experience and winning background you can find in the next coach the better.

This is my first time commenting on this site, but while I do understand that the coach is a great one and he would do well if he were given the job with the Cards there I do not understand how you think a high school team would match up with last seasons Cardinals. You're talking about a high school team with a lot of talent, but the majority of them won't get close to playing at the next level. While the Cards were bad this year, that is a team full of guys with enough skill and ability to play college football at the second highest level in the country, the FCS. It would not go well for LT.[/QUOTe]

According to your reasoning, the worst team in the FCS is better than any high school team in the country. Membership in an organization is just a signature on a piece of paper. On the field is where it counts. Who decided that this past team was "full of guys with enough skill and ability to play college ball"? Hint, it's the guy who just coached Lamar to a 3-8 record and one winning record in the last seven years. A coach that everyone on this thread wants gone and replaced, like yesterday. Coach Hank Carter has been at Lake Travis High school, as the HC, and is 61-8 with multiple championship rings and this years team went 15-1 and won the highest class division in Texas football by destroying the Woodlands. Lamar struggles to recruit players with any stars, how many players on Lake Travis do you think are rated? Without wasting the time to look it up, you can bet that it's more than what is on Lamar's team. I'm not knocking the Lamar players, they worked hard, played damn hard, and for a coaching staff that just wasn't up to it. I'm knocking the arrogance of Goliath , who thinks that some puny High school David can't beat my ass because I play for a college team. David wishes that he could sling a rock as well as that high school QB Charlie Brewer. All he did was complete almost 80% of his passes with 50TD/2 INT and their defense is as good as their offence. Nobody bet that David would beat Goliath or that Trump would beat the Wicked Witch, but they did. Add this guys name to the coaching list. He's fairly young, consistently and hugely successful, and he's been to the high school mountaintop more times then Nepalese Sherpa's.