***Lamar Football Coaching Search***

KABrother88

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per footballscoop.com ....

Arkansas associate head coach / running backs coach Jeff Traylor is expected to interview for the head coaching job, per Richard Davenport.

Background:

Jeff Traylor enters his second season as the associate head coach and running backs coach for the Razorbacks.His running backs corps racked up 1,721 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2018, led by sophomore-transfer Rakeem Boyd. The Houston native rushed for over 100 yards in three different SEC games, including a season-best 113 against Vanderbilt, making him the 26th Razorback to rush for 100+ yards three or more times in a season. Boyd’s steady improvement during the 2019 season was obvious as he became the team’s starting running back in the fifth week of the season against Texas A&M and started the final seven games. His best stretch of the season came in four straight games against Alabama, Ole Miss, Tulsa and Vanderbilt as he ran for 100+ yards in three games and totaled 423 yards. His 102 yards against Alabama made him the first Arkansas running back to eclipse 100 yards against the Crimson Tide since Darren McFadden in 2007.

Arkansas returns nearly 82% of the team’s 1,409 rushing yards from last season with Boyd, Devwah Whaley and Chase Hayden all back on the roster.

Traylor joined the Razorbacks from SMU, where he spent the 2017 season as associate head coach/running backs. He served as the Mustangs’ interim coach following the Razorbacks’ hiring of Morris in December 2017.

Before SMU, Traylor spent two seasons at the University of Texas (2015-16). In his first season in Austin, he coached tight ends and was named Scout.com’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year. In 2016, Traylor coached tight ends and wide receivers for the Longhorns, who boasted the nation’s No. 16 ranked offense that averaged 491.3 yards per game.

During his time in Austin, Traylor recruited punter Michael Dickson, who went on to earn multiple All-America honors, win Big 12 Conference Special Teams Player of the Year in 2016 and 2017 as well as the 2017 Ray Guy Award.

Prior to Texas, Traylor spent 15 seasons (2000-14) as head coach at Gilmer High School in east Texas, where he had a 175-26 record with three state championships and two state runner-up finishes.

Traylor’s unit totaled 2,223 yards rushing in 2017, highlighted by three players who rushed for 500-plus yards with sophomore Xavier Jones leading the group at 1,075. The Mustangs topped the 200-yard mark on the ground six times with a season-best 311 in a win against Arkansas State.

At Texas, Traylor recruited punter Michael Dickson, who earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors in, while the tight ends unit caught 22 passes for over 300 yards and two touchdowns. Dickson averaged 41.3 yards per punt on 77 attempts.

Under Traylor, Gilmer High School reached the 10-win mark 11 times, while also recording seven 13-win campaigns. The Buckeyes posted 15 wins three times, all of which resulted in undefeated state championship years, including two 16-0 seasons in 2004 and 2014.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/jeff-traylor/

He's a SFA graduate and had applied for the SFA job last year but withdrew his name.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/confirmed-jeff-traylor-withdraws-from-sfa-coaching-search-will-stay-at-arkansas/501-619091046

Looking at his resume, his teams have strong running games. Also appears to be a good recruiter. He was making $370K at Arkansas.

Arkansas associate head coach / running backs coach Jeff Traylor is expected to interview for the head coaching job, per Richard Davenport.

Looking at his resume, his teams have strong running games. Also appears to be a good recruiter. He was making $370K at Arkansas.

This guy had a hell of a program at Gilmer. If he will throw the ball but mix in a good running game, then he might be a great answer. He should have great recruiting ties to East Texas. He is the first name that I have heard that actually has an interview.

With the HC change he may be looking for a job, but how much below what Arkansas was paying do you think he is willing to take? Again how much is LU willing to pay for the right coach. I saw something about the OC at Indiana who was a highly successful D2 coach that is receiving approximately $800K for his jump up.

Background:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/jeff-traylor/

He's a SFA graduate and had applied for the SFA job last year but withdrew his name.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/confirmed-jeff-traylor-withdraws-from-sfa-coaching-search-will-stay-at-arkansas/501-619091046

zzzzzzzzzzzz. Didn’t we just do that?

Dang, I was going to throw in Urban Meyers name thinking maybe he would do it for the joy of coaching with few expectations and didn't need to care about the money. But then I saw this morning that he stated in October that he would consider the Dallas Cowboys job and at this point they might be interested in him.

Traylor spent two seasons at the University of Texas (2015-16). In his first season in Austin, he coached tight ends and was named Scout.com’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year. In 2016, Traylor coached tight ends and wide receivers for the Longhorns, who boasted the nation’s No. 16 ranked offense that averaged 491.3 yards per game.

Todd dodge had a total of 6 wins in 4 seasons at North Texas.

That is true. But, that was over a decade ago. Lots of coaches are unsuccessful at their first stop and/or in their first several years.

Look at Mack Brown's first 6 years as a HC- a total of 19-48 (going 1-10 in three of those seasons). Then, things fell into place and he went on to be the most successful coach of the 2000s.

Plus, a lot of people thought Dodge would work magic at UNT (even believing that some of his Carroll teams could have beaten the Mean Green)- wouldn't really need support.

He's a different guy now. Not saying he's the only potentially good candidate. Not saying he's the guy I'd pledge a donation (not that I have a big checkbook) to help ensure he's secured. Not saying he'd get an interview or that he'd take the job.

But, he's very successful, a Port Arthur native (wasn't former Astro Xavier Hernandez his backup at TJ?), and would excite the fan base the same way Billy Tubbs did when he returned.

Not a guaranteed recipe for success, but still he's an option, unless someone has heard something I haven't that he isn't wanting to leave Westlake.

The only proven winner at the DI level is Art Briles and a lot of you don't want him because of a scandal in which the university paid him $15 million due his non involvement.

Everyone deserves a second chance.

Well:

(1) Art Briles knew what was going on and didn't stop it.

(2) Notice that none of the 500 HSs in Texas on the 5A and 6A level touched him and every time his name was brought up with a college job, university administration was flooded with angry students and boosters.

(3) One of the people that strong led the push to get rid of him at Baylor (using the only power play alums have- his wallet) has his freakin' name on the stadium and his wife's name on the rec sports building. I have a feeling he knows a LOT more about the situation than we do. If Art was innocent, he'd write the check to bring him to Beaumont and would have floated the name through the media by now to get the conversation going.

I hope Born is able to make a great hire. We need life pumped into the program with a great coach. We need to get the program going by hiring the right person even if he leaves after 4-5 years for a bigger job. Then we need to follow that up with another great hire. If we do that, then the program will be where we all want to be after 8-10 years and hopefully we are in a position to make a move up in conferences. That should be Born's game plan. Do the right thing Marco and hire a great up and comer coach who has the fire in his gut and the tenacity to build a solid championship program.

Okay, I think this makes the 3rd (or maybe 4th) post in a row by me.

I'll say that the possiblity of Jeff Traylor counts as "best case scenario"- successful coach who has a lot of ties to HSs in the state to get face-time with kids. Building a power at Gilmer, he knows how to find those 2-star/3-star kids in East Texas that, with a good scheme and coaching, turn Lamar into a consistent winner, built on the shoulders of "Beast Texas' kids- especially the Cade Harrington (yes, he was from Kingwood) types- guys who were insanely successful in HS but the bigger programs passed because they lacked the measurables.

Traylor could probably also lure a guy like Scott Surratt to be a position coach (or even a coordinator or co-coordinator) and be that second guy to get in coaches' offices- the same role that Bruce Chambers had (and now Corby Meekins has) at Texas (after Meekins had it at Houston)... and Svoboda is at Rice... and Briles was at Tech when he left Stephenville... and really every successful college coach in Texas has.

No doubt Todd Dodge is a great high coach at Carroll and Westlake. At the peak of his South lake Carroll coaching career (3 undefeated state championships in a row) he got his shot at North Texas. His system didn’t work in 4 years at North Texas. I would like to see someone with a more successful recruiting experience.

Don't have a real opinion one way or the other on what Dodge could do, but he should know what kind of player is needed. I never felt like Woodard really knew type of player he needed. The question is can he get that quality of player to LU? The other question is can he figure out the defensive side of the game at the college level?

Okay, I think this makes the 3rd (or maybe 4th) post in a row by me.

I'll say that the possiblity of Jeff Traylor counts as "best case scenario"- successful coach who has a lot of ties to HSs in the state to get face-time with kids. Building a power at Gilmer, he knows how to find those 2-star/3-star kids in East Texas that, with a good scheme and coaching, turn Lamar into a consistent winner, built on the shoulders of "Beast Texas' kids- especially the Cade Harrington (yes, he was from Kingwood) types- guys who were insanely successful in HS but the bigger programs passed because they lacked the measurables.

Traylor could probably also lure a guy like Scott Surratt to be a position coach (or even a coordinator or co-coordinator) and be that second guy to get in coaches' offices- the same role that Bruce Chambers had (and now Corby Meekins has) at Texas (after Meekins had it at Houston)... and Svoboda is at Rice... and Briles was at Tech when he left Stephenville... and really every successful college coach in Texas has.

If he’s best case scenario we are destined for mediocrity and/or boredom.

Don't have a real opinion one way or the other on what Dodge could do, but he should know what kind of player is needed. I never felt like Woodard really knew type of player he needed. The question is can he get that quality of player to LU? The other question is can he figure out the defensive side of the game at the college level?

Well, at least he could recruit some offensive talent

Well, at least he could recruit some offensive talent

I would not suspect that Dodge wants the Lamar job. He has no ties to Lamar. His problem at UNT was he could not recruit and/or evaluate talent. His teams were not that talented and also had retention problems with many players. Like current UT coach is known of saying “ it takes good college players to win in college not great high school players”.

In his defense, the facilities at UNT were definitely a downgrade from South Lake Carroll. Same will be if he leaves Austin Westlake for Lamar, since these big high school programs can fleece the taxpayers for facilities and universities can’t.

I would not suspect that Dodge wants the Lamar job. He has no ties to Lamar. His problem at UNT was he could not recruit and/or evaluate talent. His teams were not that talented and also had retention problems with many players. Like current UT coach is known of saying “ it takes good college players to win in college not great high school players”.

In his defense, the facilities at UNT were definitely a downgrade from South Lake Carroll. Same will be if he leaves Austin Westlake for Lamar, since these big high school programs can fleece the taxpayers for facilities and universities can’t.

Regardless of who is hired, if our facilities aren't better than the Westlakes, Lake Travises, Allens, Southlake Carrolls, or other top level suburban programs in the state, we need to find a way to improve them.

I'm not saying we need the UT-Austin $8,700 lockers, but we need to be better than the best HS programs in the state.

My job has given me the opportunity to be in some of the most spectacular HS facilities around the state; I have not, though, been in our locker room, field house, and sports medicine facilities. We should be able to make the 2nd-tier players across the state (JuCo and HS) feel like Lamar is a school that will treat them like they're valued.

Lol. Ok. A high school coach has it better than if he were at LU. Shaking my DAMN head. I think that may be part of our problem. People ACTUALLY believe that’s true.

Regardless of who is hired, if our facilities aren't better than the Westlakes, Lake Travises, Allens, Southlake Carrolls, or other top level suburban programs in the state, we need to find a way to improve them.

I'm not saying we need the UT-Austin $8,700 lockers, but we need to be better than the best HS programs in the state.

My job has given me the opportunity to be in some of the most spectacular HS facilities around the state; I have not, though, been in our locker room, field house, and sports medicine facilities. We should be able to make the 2nd-tier players across the state (JuCo and HS) feel like Lamar is a school that will treat them like they're valued.

You haven’t been in our facilities yet you say they aren’t better than top high school’s? Have you even been in our stsdium?? We aren’t FBS but we probably have the best facilities in the SLC? Our stadium holds more than all those you list except Allen, unless I’m mistaken. I believe we built a brand new workout/locker room facility when Woodard was here. Perhapps you need to check out our facilities and then update your post. I have no clue about those high schools but I’d doubt we aren’t at least on par. Either way, it doesn’t matter all that much. What matters is how we compare to others in our conference and how much we are willing to pay a head coach