UTSA GAME

lu cards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two weeks, Lamar football got what it paid for and what it was paid for. An easy game for the home team. Next week the real season begins. Northern Colorado is an FCS school and hopefully there is a return game next year. Hopefully Lamar will be competitive and further hopefully Lamar will win. A good running offense can be just as much fun to watch as a good passing attack. Yesterday Lamar had neither. I don't remember a lot of complaints about lack of passing when Harrington was running for 100 to 200 yards per game.

The first two weeks, Lamar football got what it paid for and what it was paid for. An easy game for the home team. Next week the real season begins. Northern Colorado is an FCS school and hopefully there is a return game next year. Hopefully Lamar will be competitive and further hopefully Lamar will win. A good running offense can be just as much fun to watch as a good passing attack. Yesterday Lamar had neither. I don't remember a lot of complaints about lack of passing when Harrington was running for 100 to 200 yards per game.

Totally agree!

Game was bad! Offense especially bad. Offensive scheme is bad. Offensive personnel, at least at the critical skill position(s) is very suspect. But most disappointing is I could not find a quote from Morgan after the game. No quote in the article on the athletic website, no quote in the BE article, they just picked up the Sa Antonio News article and printed it, and the PA News did not even cover the game. If Morgan is going to accept a check to coach this team, then he should have the decency, the balls to speak about their performance!! He needs to man up! Edited by NorthoftheBorder

we still threw the ball. And i dont remember our tight ends running the ball.

also, harrington would get passes out of the backfield.

Game was bad! Offense especially bad. Offensive scheme is bad. Offensive personnel, at least at the critical skill position(s) is very suspect. But most disappointing is I could not find a quote from Morgan after the game. No quote in the article on the athletic website, no quote in the BE article, they just picked up the Sa Antonio News article and printed it, and the PA News did not even cover the game. If Morgan is going to accept a check to coach this team, then he should have the decency, the balls to speak about their performance!! He needs to man up!

hes looking over the roster, wondering why hes got 16 wide recievers.

or

hes busy drawing up more, as he puts it, explosive plays

im thinking tight end to tight end to tight end triple reverse. With our 5 ft. 9 in ,170 lb. wide recievers lead blocking

What is it about LU athletics that they never succeed? Are the power brokers connected to LU too involved in athletics that they get in the way of the athletic department making good hires? Or maybe the culture is such that incompetence is the norm and it'll always be the norm. Another theory is that LU is at a big disadvantage compared to most other schools. Face it, Beaumont sucks compared to most places around Texas. I'm not sure LU athletics will ever be able to overcome that.

What is it about LU athletics that they never succeed? Are the power brokers connected to LU too involved in athletics that they get in the way of the athletic department making good hires? Or maybe the culture is such that incompetence is the norm and it'll always be the norm. Another theory is that LU is at a big disadvantage compared to most other schools. Face it, Beaumont sucks compared to most places around Texas. I'm not sure LU athletics will ever be able to overcome that.

There is nothing wrong with Beaumont except, and it's a big exception, for the people who live here - their attitude. They seem to relish in this Beaumont sucks attitude. I guess they don't realize they ARE Beaumont. And this continuous excuse as that being the reason...horse shit. I don't see people knocking down the door to live in Huntsville, Nacogdoches, Houma, Thibodeaux, Lake Charles, etc. What are the so called 'nicest' places in the country to live? And for that matter, what's so great about Tuscaloosa Alabama or Baton Rouge...hell, even College Station?!

Now if you want to say the issue is Lamar and not having the 'college experience' type deal. Ok, I could buy that. That could be fixed but it would involve a little pain. Step 1, put in some stiffer admissions standards. Too many kids go there that don't even belong in college. I won't even think about step 2 until that happens. And it likely won't happen because it would lead to decreased enrollment for several years.

I know everyone wants instant improvement.. that is what fans do. But the fact is, this is an extremely young football team playing one of the better C-USA teams. I just looked at the Cardinals roster and it is loaded with freshmen. There is a big gap between HS and D1 football and especially FBS football. There is only so much a coach can do to overcome lack of experience and to some extent a talent gap. I do not know if Morgan is the answer, but this is a multi-year build. I did not expect it would happen overnight. I do expect the Cardinals to be more competitive playing tier peer schools, in and out of conference. But this is just one man's take.

https://lamarcardinals.com/sports/football/roster

Edited by crawfish

I know everyone wants instant improvement.. that is what fans do. But the fact is, this is an extremely young football team playing one of the better C-USA teams. I just looked at the Cardinals roster and it is loaded with freshmen. There is a big gap between HS and D1 football and especially FBS football. There is only so much a coach can do to overcome lack of experience and to some extent a talent gap. I do not know if Morgan is the answer, but this is a multi-year build. I did not expect it would happen overnight. I do expect the Cardinals to be more competitive playing tier peer schools, in and out of conference. But this is just one man's take.

https://lamarcardinals.com/sports/football/roster

It's not so much that we suck, it's how we suck. What fool in the modern day era wants to run the Air Force offense? What's next, leather helmets?

I knew the we are young team excuse would come out. Yeah, well it is not like the program just started back. We have had football back for a while. Heck, we even made the playoffs a few years ago. I know players come and go with new coaches. Why are WE always so young? This is like the fourth time since the restart we have said this. How come SHSU is never a young team. Well the team that just kicked our A$$ hired their head coach after we hired Morgan. His first year he went to a bowl game after taking over a 4-8 team. Another mans opinion

I knew the we are young team excuse would come out. Yeah, well it is not like the program just started back. We have had football back for a while. Heck, we even made the playoffs a few years ago. I know players come and go with new coaches. Why are WE always so young? This is like the fourth time since the restart we have said this. How come SHSU is never a young team. Well the team that just kicked our A$$ hired their head coach after we hired Morgan. His first year he went to a bowl game after taking over a 4-8 team. Another mans opinion

I did not intend on making excuses; just pointing out some facts. I think the rest of the season will be more of a indicator of whether Coach Morgan is making headway. The first game was nothing (literally) because it was an exhibition against a small private college that most people (including me) have never heard of. The UTSA game was a money game and a mismatch. I think it will get better, but maybe not this year. :unsure:

It is what it is.

I did not intend on making excuses; just pointing out some facts. I think the rest of the season will be more of a indicator of whether Coach Morgan is making headway. The first game was nothing (literally) because it was an exhibition against a small private college that most people (including me) have never heard of. The UTSA game was a money game and a mismatch. I think it will get better, but maybe not this year. :unsure:

It is what it is.

Sad. I consider UT, A&M, Baylor, LSU mismatch money games. I dont

Edited by PeckEm

Anytime a coach uses the excuse of a young team, the next question needs to be "Why are we so young?" There are a lot of ways to answer it, maybe even some that are acceptable. Why didn't the older players stay?

Anytime a coach uses the excuse of a young team, the next question needs to be "Why are we so young?" There are a lot of ways to answer it, maybe even some that are acceptable. Why didn't the older players stay?

I think that question was answered last year. There were quite a few that did not return when Schultz was fired. Morgan chose not to bring in very many transfers or juco players. Last years squad was at least 60% freshman. The only part of it that had a lot of experience was the offensive line which I believe were all seniors and they had no back up. I'm just going off my memory but those things make it still a young team.

I think that question was answered last year. There were quite a few that did not return when Schultz was fired. Morgan chose not to bring in very many transfers or juco players. Last years squad was at least 60% freshman. The only part of it that had a lot of experience was the offensive line which I believe were all seniors and they had no back up. I'm just going off my memory but those things make it still a young team.

I just double checked, we did not complete a single pass to a wide receive vs UTSA

I noticed LU started 5 freshmen at OL. Where are the upper classmen? Seems like the football players are like the rest of the student body. They only stick around for a year or two then they're gone.

well they have true freshmen, freshmen red shirts, and freshmen lettermen that played in the spring. I believe donovan edwards was the only sophomore.

edwards gone. Harris aint been playing, dont know if hes still around, frithiof only plays xtra points. Loganbill aint on roster. Hes got true freshmen playing ahead of returning freshmen letterwinners.

Also, i think around half of morgans first recruiting class are gone