Rumor about Lamar Sports?

crawfish

"We are hearing SFA, Tarleton and Lamar are headed back to the Southland, now that NMSU and Sam are headed to CUSA. WAC football might be dead before it even starts back up."

This was posted on the SBC Forum by a normally reliable source. I know him personally and he would not post it without hearing it from a creditable source. It may not be true, but I suspect there is at least some consideration going on. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Edited by crawfish

To be honest, I expected it to be we were dropping down to D II. It does not seem like we can compete in any D I conference, we might as well go back to the SLC. It really does not matter anymore. Our athletic program is terrible. Thanks Marco!

The Southland is definitely not the answer for Lamar. Not saying there couldn't be something to the rumor, but the only chance for Lamar to ever regain the prestige it had in the early 80's is by staying in a potentially improving conference and the SLC is not it. It is past time for Lamar athletics to set the standard to be a first-class department across the board both on and off the field and begin taking steps to get there. They could start by posting a Lamar story concerning the cancellation of the games as opposed to a WAC announcement. Granted the conference probably has a say, but I would much rather hear from a Lamar spokesman as opposed to read a conference statement. Edited by geezer

The Southland is definitely not the answer for Lamar. Not saying there couldn't be something to the rumor, but the only chance for Lamar to ever regain the prestige it had in the early 80's is by staying in a potentially improving conference and the SLC is not it.

THE WACk is not it

If I were to guess, I would guess the Cow People across the river are trying to get Lamar back in the fold. Also, since the WAC took a huge setback in their quest to go FBS with the loss of Sam and NMSU, what would be the attraction to stay in the WAC? Travel (especially for spring sports) will still be cheaper in the Southland than the WAC. I guess what I am saying is that some of the main the reasons Lamar went to the WAC (staying with SHSU, possibly going FBS) have now changed, so who knows. I don't know if this rumor has legs, but I could see where it might.

For what it is worth, if Lamar "followed" Sam to the WAC and would return to the SLC because Sam moved on, I don't know if I would really want to say I am a Cardinal fan. The only reason Lamar should have made the move to the WAC is because the leadership believed it to be the best long term fit for Cardinal Athletics, regardless of any other former SLC school. I have state on several threads over the years the worst decision Lamar leadership made was to shut down the football program in 89 and the next biggest mistake was to return to the SLC from what is now the Sunbelt.

The Southland is definitely not the answer for Lamar. Not saying there couldn't be something to the rumor, but the only chance for Lamar to ever regain the prestige it had in the early 80's is by staying in a potentially improving conference and the SLC is not it. It is past time for Lamar athletics to set the standard to be a first-class department across the board both on and off the field and begin taking steps to get there. They could start by posting a Lamar story concerning the cancellation of the games as opposed to a WAC announcement. Granted the conference probably has a say, but I would much rather hear from a Lamar spokesman as opposed to read a conference statement.

I disagree 100%. There is absolutely nothing wrong with FCS football. It is definitely where we belong. The only semi logical reason to leave the SLC was to go where sam and SFA were going. I do agree that it is past time for our athletic department to be first class but we need to focus on first class FCS. Sorry but the WAC is a joke and if we ever get to the point to where our program is legitimately close enough to moving up it needs to be to the east not the west.

"We are hearing SFA, Tarleton and Lamar are headed back to the Southland, now that NMSU and Sam are headed to CUSA. WAC football might be dead before it even starts back up."

This was posted on the SBC Forum by a normally reliable source. I know him personally and he would not post it without hearing it from a creditable source. It may not be true, but I suspect there is at least some consideration going on. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Lord I hope this is true! I have ZERO interest watching us play those WAC schools.

For what it is worth, if Lamar "followed" Sam to the WAC and would return to the SLC because Sam moved on, I don't know if I would really want to say I am a Cardinal fan. The only reason Lamar should have made the move to the WAC is because the leadership believed it to be the best long term fit for Cardinal Athletics, regardless of any other former SLC school. I have state on several threads over the years the worst decision Lamar leadership made was to shut down the football program in 89 and the next biggest mistake was to return to the SLC from what is now the Sunbelt.

Going to the WAC would be the second biggest mistake in my opinion. Behind canceling football in 1989

I am as frustrated as any of us are with the performance from the Lamar Athletic Dept over the last thirty years, but I have serious doubts that the SLC ever climbs out of the NCAA Div 1 basement in basketball or other sports where there is not a split within that division. I have also witnessed Lamar continue to sink lower on the ladder even within the SLC. The current coaches in all programs may not be the ones that can turn things around, but I also know a coaching carousel where you don't give coaches time to rebuild a winning culture won't make it turn around either. In fact, the chance of getting that good coach who will turn it around goes down with every change. Franklin, Morgan and Brooks need fans that will support them and give them a little more time. Davis in baseball needs to produce or let go. Born needs to evaluate his performance and the overall mediocracy that Lamar Athletics is and demonstrates. He needs to present a vision for improvement and demand that the off the field visible actions of the department are run in a first-class manner. For us as fans we should look for every positive, we can find and praise that action and performance. If we want talented athletes to come to Lamar the Lamar fans need to make them want to come here. Not tearing down the athletes and coaches we have.

Geezer, I agree with a lot of what you said. I speak regarding football. We needed to give Woodard and Schultz some time and we did. Woodard was a great seller of LU football. He would talk to anybody anytime about LU football. It seemed like we had some football players on those teams. We did not win the SLC, but we competed and had something or someone to cheer for. We had some guys go to NFL camps or play in all star games. We always seemed to have hope for next year. We threw the ball around the first couple of years with some decent qb play from Bevil and Berry. We had some good receivers. Then Kade came in and we always seemed to have a chance with him. We had some guys on Defense. Now, our offense is not an offense. 3 and outs strain our defense. I am not looking forward to next season. We got rid of the Cardinal Club. We do not post about our upcoming opponent until game days. If you are a fan of LU football, you have to research it out, because Lamar does not provide any info for the fans. It seems like we are being cheap about everything in our football program. Yet, when I tried 3 times to renew my season tickets nobody would call me back. I left 3 messages on three separate days because nobody was there to take my call. 3 times, that

I don't mean to imply that I like the offense that the football team is using. I definitely do not care one way or the other about FCS versus FBS except for scheduling purposes. I would like to see non-conference games at home versus teams like La. Lafayette, Monroe or La Tech, Rice among others. I think those kinds of games would return some fan excitement to Lamar. I wish I had any insight on whether Born can turn around the culture in the athletic department that doesn't seem to bother to promote any game pre-event. The lack of a standard of excellence really irritates me, but perhaps just like everywhere maybe Lamar can't find someone to hire to rebuild the public relations and promotion of the events. Unless the athletic department is just that understaffed, I see no excuse for not at least responding to someone that wants to spend money on LU Athletics. I would say they may not be ready to renew football season tickets without a schedule set. Will they have five or six home games? Edited by geezer

Geezer, I agree with a lot of what you said. I speak regarding football. We needed to give Woodard and Schultz some time and we did. Woodard was a great seller of LU football. He would talk to anybody anytime about LU football. It seemed like we had some football players on those teams. We did not win the SLC, but we competed and had something or someone to cheer for. We had some guys go to NFL camps or play in all star games. We always seemed to have hope for next year. We threw the ball around the first couple of years with some decent qb play from Bevil and Berry. We had some good receivers. Then Kade came in and we always seemed to have a chance with him. We had some guys on Defense. Now, our offense is not an offense. 3 and outs strain our defense. I am not looking forward to next season. We got rid of the Cardinal Club. We do not post about our upcoming opponent until game days. If you are a fan of LU football, you have to research it out, because Lamar does not provide any info for the fans. It seems like we are being cheap about everything in our football program. Yet, when I tried 3 times to renew my season tickets nobody would call me back. I left 3 messages on three separate days because nobody was there to take my call. 3 times, that

17, have you tried emailing or made sure they have your email address. I get alot of communications thru email.

Nobody knows how to talk on the phone anymore. Just us old folks

Puddin, yeah, the email thing. Well, it would seem to me that if you are hurting for ticket sales like LU is, they might keep someone handy to answer the ticket sales hotline. I am sure the phone is not ringing off the wall, but I did leave messages. 3 times on different days and no call back. Since we brought football back I have always called to get my season tickets. Anyway, the Bud Leonard scholarship fund. Heard of it, but not sure who or where the money goes just Give,give,give

I am as frustrated as any of us are with the performance from the Lamar Athletic Dept over the last thirty years, but I have serious doubts that the SLC ever climbs out of the NCAA Div 1 basement in basketball or other sports where there is not a split within that division. I have also witnessed Lamar continue to sink lower on the ladder even within the SLC. The current coaches in all programs may not be the ones that can turn things around, but I also know a coaching carousel where you don't give coaches time to rebuild a winning culture won't make it turn around either. In fact, the chance of getting that good coach who will turn it around goes down with every change. Franklin, Morgan and Brooks need fans that will support them and give them a little more time. Davis in baseball needs to produce or let go. Born needs to evaluate his performance and the overall mediocracy that Lamar Athletics is and demonstrates. He needs to present a vision for improvement and demand that the off the field visible actions of the department are run in a first-class manner. For us as fans we should look for every positive, we can find and praise that action and performance. If we want talented athletes to come to Lamar the Lamar fans need to make them want to come here. Not tearing down the athletes and coaches we have.

Fans are not going to support a losing program. And the SLC was one of the best FCS football leagues. And we

Fans are not going to support a losing program. And the SLC was one of the best FCS football leagues. And we have had some good basketball teams that represented the league well. Chasing this pie in the sky FBS crap is stupid. How in the world do you think we will just jump to FBS and be successful? We are NEVER going to be a major FBS program, we are way to far behind for that to happen. We need to focus on being a very good FCS program. And, if by some miracle we are ever good enough to go FBS it certainly does not need to be with Grand Canyon, Dixie State, Chicago State, California Baptist. Etc

Puddin, yeah, the email thing. Well, it would seem to me that if you are hurting for ticket sales like LU is, they might keep someone handy to answer the ticket sales hotline. I am sure the phone is not ringing off the wall, but I did leave messages. 3 times on different days and no call back. Since we brought football back I have always called to get my season tickets. Anyway, the Bud Leonard scholarship fund. Heard of it, but not sure who or where the money goes just Give,give,give

probably a student getting 15.00 an hour that doesnt know how a landline phone works.

or, like other places doing a half ass job, they can blame it on the covid

Fans are not going to support a losing program. And the SLC was one of the best FCS football leagues. And we have had some good basketball teams that represented the league well. Chasing this pie in the sky FBS crap is stupid. How in the world do you think we will just jump to FBS and be successful? We are NEVER going to be a major FBS program, we are way to far behind for that to happen. We need to focus on being a very good FCS program. And, if by some miracle we are ever good enough to go FBS it certainly does not need to be with Grand Canyon, Dixie State, Chicago State, California Baptist. Etc

Yes, the SLC was a decent FCS conference, but so can the WAC as I believe three current and future WAC FCS Football programs made it to the playoffs. SAM, SFA, UIW and Southern Utah (if memory serves) were all there this past year. Yes, Sam will be gone but UIW and SUU are joining. Yes, there are a few left in the mix that would really like to get to FBS, but who knows if that will happen. At this point in time the WAC is a better basketball, women's soccer and volleyball conference and as good if not better baseball. I think the difference is the WAC may get even stronger with time, where I don't believe the SLC will.

Yes, the SLC was a decent FCS conference, but so can the WAC as I believe three current and future WAC FCS Football programs made it to the playoffs. SAM, SFA, UIW and Southern Utah (if memory serves) were all there this past year. Yes, Sam will be gone but UIW and SUU are joining. Yes, there are a few left in the mix that would really like to get to FBS, but who knows if that will happen. At this point in time the WAC is a better basketball, women's soccer and volleyball conference and as good if not better baseball. I think the difference is the WAC may get even stronger with time, where I don't believe the SLC will.

southern utah was 0-8 in big sky, 1-10 overall. Only win vs Tarleton St . They join the WACk this summer, i believe