Cardinal Basketball 22-23

geezer

When do pre-season practices start? I was looking at the WAC message board and while they have some of their own terminology there was a mention of fall camp. Trying to figure out if it is more strength and conditioning or pick up ball among the players as opposed to coach led actual practices. With another disappointing football season, I am hoping for improvement in basketball, both men and women.

Thanks, if I understand what I read the first official game this year would fall on Nov. 11th. To me this would mean the St Thomas game is an exhibition and official practice could start this coming Friday or Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked at the schedule. If they cannot win at least half their games then Brooks should be fired. Knowing LU, if they do win half their games Brooks will probably get a 10 year extension.

I guarantee they won't win half... there are 13 of them, so we'll have a non-conference win-loss record, but it won't be .500.

The fact they have 4 definite non-conference wins and a couple of good challenges should get the players a chance to gel. They'll probably take some lumps against teams like TCU and SMU, but if we go 8-5 even in non-conference, that's a good jump-start on the season.

Now that Brooks has his guys, the product should be good.

Oh yeah and GET SOME BUTTS IN SEATS! TURN THE MONTAGNE INTO A HOMECOURT ADVANTAGE!!!

It used to be hell for teams to come into Beaumont.

I predict LU will finish in the Top 3 in conference. Then they will win the conference tournament due to the depth of the team.

You heard it here first. LOL

I'd love to see it!

Get some energy around the program.

Really disappointed that the conference basketball tournament is at McNeese. While the H&HP Complex is nice, it's the size of a HS basketball arena in Texas. Here's to hoping the Montagne gets some upgrades so it can become the home of the tournament for the future (and be more of a draw for recruits). We seat over twice what McNeese does. While the Southland Conference Basketball Tournament isn't a huge draw, it deserves to have:

- a venue at the level of the region basketball tournaments on the 5A and 6A level in Texas

- the teams in the 2nd semifinal to be able to fit into the arena prior to the final buzzer of the 1st

I'd love to see it!

Get some energy around the program.

Really disappointed that the conference basketball tournament is at McNeese. While the H&HP Complex is nice, it's the size of a HS basketball arena in Texas. Here's to hoping the Montagne gets some upgrades so it can become the home of the tournament for the future (and be more of a draw for recruits). We seat over twice what McNeese does. While the Southland Conference Basketball Tournament isn't a huge draw, it deserves to have:

- a venue at the level of the region basketball tournaments on the 5A and 6A level in Texas

- the teams in the 2nd semifinal to be able to fit into the arena prior to the final buzzer of the 1st

H&HP Complex seats 3,800 for basketball, 4,200 for concerts and 500 for volleyball. It looks nice but small for a conference tournament. If McNeese and Lamar were to meet in the championship game with a trip to the NCAA Tournament on the line there would be a lot of unhappy people trying to get a ticket unfortunately.

H&HP Complex seats 3,800 for basketball, 4,200 for concerts and 500 for volleyball. It looks nice but small for a conference tournament. If McNeese and Lamar were to meet in the championship game with a trip to the NCAA Tournament on the line there would be a lot of unhappy people trying to get a ticket unfortunately.

Right. There are HS gyms in Houston that are bigger, let alone the district-wide arenas in Houston like the Campbell Center and Merrell Center (where we used to play the SLC Tournament before the western exodus to the WAC).

I totally understand the conference bidding out the conference tournament before they re-admitted Lamar, but some sprucing up the Montagne could make it a long-term home for the tournament, given the size, even if most of the conference member schools are east of us.

I see a lot of freshman on the roster. Is Brooks going to borrow the we are a young team excuse from Morgan. I hope he gets permission from Morgan, otherwise we could have a lawsuit between the two.

Brooks also recruited four Juco players with 3 of them being named Juco All American. The fourth lead his HS team to a state championship.

The freshmen are pretty good too.

I am somewhat optimistic about the season but Brooks has to prove that he can coach. I hope he is not another Steve Roccaforte. In the short term playing in one of the worst basketball conferences in the country will boost his won/loss ratio, but that is a low bar. Will he be able to dominate the conference, which should be the goal every year.

I am somewhat optimistic about the season but Brooks has to prove that he can coach. I hope he is not another Steve Roccaforte. In the short term playing in one of the worst basketball conferences in the country will boost his won/loss ratio, but that is a low bar. Will he be able to dominate the conference, which should be the goal every year.

I fully agree with the exception that at this point Brooks also has to prove his recruiting is at least equal to Rodcaforte's.

The Lamar MBB team is hoisting about 12 players from classes 2024/2025 on campus this weekend.

Hope they didn't take them to the football game. That would be a negative if I was a recruit and I looked at what the basketball team did last year.

Are the practices closed? Has anybody heard anything about on how the team is progressing? Granted, they may look good against one another and still stink when they come up against an actual opponent.

I believe the practices are open to coaches and media but not the general public.

The MBB team scrimmages UTRGV (I think) yesterday and Coach Brooks was pleased with the way the team preformed.

Comments on the LU web site about the SLC media day gives some reason to have a positive outlook for this season. If Brooks is correct and this year's team is better than last, then there is a reasonable possibility that the SLC is very balanced. The Cards are picked for 9th place while Corpus Christi who the Cards probably should have defeated last year is picked to win the conference. Men’s Hoops Participates in SLC Media Day - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)