FCS Playoffs

coachacola

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a turnaround this team has made. Congratulations to all of the players and coaches. I hope this is the beginning of some really great years to come. :biggrin:

I agree. The whole season turned around on that block field goal against IWU to win the game. Great for the players and congrats to the coaches.

Congratulations to the Cardinal Nation! NIU looks to be a solid team, but beatable. They are 4-1 at home this year so their game dome stadium is probably loud and intimidating to opposing teams. NIU finished the season rank 15th in the Massey Ratings and LU was ranked 44th.

First I want to keep my pessimistic outlook towards the potential for a win going as it is a lot more fun to be pleasantly surprised as a opposed to being disappointed. With that in mind I will be very doubtful about a LU win next week. On the other hand the Massey ratings is based on a perception of the competition and NIU as part of one of the top two or three rated conference gets a higher rating for who they played as compared to Lamar and the maybe fifth or sixth ranked conference. I think it's been at least two probably three seasons since a SLC team won a playoff game. The way that LU and the SLC will ultimately move up in the Massey rating is to win in the playoffs and to schedule FCS schools and win in the non-conference.

We’re in the playoffs & we beat every Texas team in the SLC. Let’s enjoy this one, folks.

I’m still in shock. I don’t see how this happened after the way we looked last year and how we started this season. It is crazy! And I can’t really pinpoint why/how it happened. Big credit to the D again. And in spite of him making a few AWFUL throws that deep pass by Colbert on the game winning drive was very impressive. Doesn’t change my opinion that Hoy should start but that was a great throw. And Wanzaa is a lil stud.

Not so fast on Incarnate Word wanting to get out of their Iowa State guarantee game.They may need the $300,000 to $400,000 they could net after travel expenses from playing the game.

Football 11/20/2018 4:00:00 PM

UIW opts out of Iowa State, focuses on playoffs. Told you so.

Football 11/20/2018 4:00:00 PM

UIW opts out of Iowa State, focuses on playoffs. Told you so.

Watching Washington, Washington state. If that's headed to UIW game...I think ida taken the money game!

Wonder where UIW buys 80 or so of those big sideline parkas?

Would be good weather for schultz's offense, tho

Montana St defeats UIW 35-14. UIW hung tough through the first half but was unable to do anything in the second half. Nicholls defeats San Diego 49-30. Nicholls was up 42-10 before allowing SD to get back in the game and then got a fouth quarter touchdown to seal the win.

• 2 weeks later...
Quarter finals are this weekend and if anyone wonders why the Missouri Valley and Big Sky conferences are seen as two of the power conferences in FCS football look at who is still playing. Three teams from the Big Sky and two from the MVFC. Until this changes consistently those conferences will have the higher rankings. It's imperative that Lamar starts playing at least one FCS non-conference game as soon as possible, even if it means sacrificing a home game in years that Lamar has five conference home games.

Quarter finals are this weekend and if anyone wonders why the Missouri Valley and Big Sky conferences are seen as two of the power conferences in FCS football look at who is still playing. Three teams from the Big Sky and two from the MVFC. Until this changes consistently those conferences will have the higher rankings. It's imperative that Lamar starts playing at least one FCS non-conference game as soon as possible, even if it means sacrificing a home game in years that Lamar has five conference home games.

That’s something I’ve been adamant about since they brought football back. Yes it’s nice to have another home game but there are 4 SWAC schools within about a 4 hour driving distance that should be prime candidates. You would have better competion than playing an NAIA school, a win would count as a D-1 win for potential playoff selection, and distance would bring more opponent fans which means more money. However, after Prairie View A&M fans started fighting themselves in the stands when they played here, Lamar might not want to deal with that again.

Agree that the SWAC has the closest non-conference FCS teams, but there are three other conferences with at least one school with-in a potential driving distance away. Kennesaw St from the Big South Conference is in the Atlanta, Ga area which might be about as far as you would want to bus at probably about 13 hours, Missouri State in Springfield, Mo at about 10 to 11 hours. Samford from the Southern Conference is in Alabama again maybe 10 hours. These schools aren't that much farther than the trip to Abilene for ACU. As long as the SLC keeps the current scheduling plan for nine games, Lamar will have four home conference games one year and five the next. Lamar could settle for five home games every year by scheduling a FCS away game in the years that they have the five home conference games.

I read a few weeks ago that the SLC is looking at/are going back to an 8 game schedule in a few years. I think it was on AnyGivenSaturday but can’t remember for sure. If it hasn’t been decided yet, then this season’s potential controversy with UIW only playing 8 could be enough to convince them to change it back. I also believe next season will be a 12 game regular season and it will go back to 11 for a few years.

Whole heartedly agree. Do a home and home with PV.