Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word I got last night is that there were over 500 applications for the job and that has been narrowed to 25. There is a lot of interest in this job.

SHSU OC Phil Longo might not be a candidate anymore as I'm seeing reports that Ole Miss has contacted him in regards to their open OC position. I'm also seeing reports SHSU HC KC Keeler is a candidate for the open HC position at Temple. To me, that puts a little more pressure to get this done a little quicker because if the SHSU job opens up there will be a lot more interest in it than Lamar.

Looks like Longo to Ole Miss is a done deal

ACU's big money boosters helped make it happen. 250k per year, 5 year contract. That's about what Keeler makes at Sam and a lot more than the last ACU coach made. Reportedly doubled the money in the pool for assistants as well. Dorrel just turned 43 years old.

News has been leaked to the local press in Abilene and Missouri but the formal announcement will be Monday at 10. ACU didn't want to disrupt Dorrel/NW Missouri's prep for the playoffs. Their season ends Saturday one way or the other when they play North Alabama for the D2 National Championship.

We have plenty of big money boosters as well. If you wanna play you need to pay! Great hire for ACU...pathetic that we didn't try to get him.

Seriously. A high school coach when we have a proven fcs winner in rob ash. They have lost their minds. I would have kept ray ray

I can understand the frustration but don't get TOO crazy. Stump can run an offense. I'm neutral on this. I can see where we could and should get someone with a better resume'/better experience. But Stump wins and he does have college coaching experience at Ms State doesn't he? Granted, Rob Ash has a much better resume and I think would probably be the better hire but I wouldn't sell Stump short.

Stump applied for the coaching position in 2008 when Woodard was hired. I'm not totally against this hire (if story is true), just a little surprised you would have to pay a consulting group to hire someone that applied 8 years ago and he's from your own back yard.

I would not be totally pissed about hiring Stump. But, like you, why the hell do you need a consulting group to hire him?!?

If Stump wasn't from the area would he be the front runner based on his resume only? My concern is he'll get the job only because of his connections.

Great question. My guess is no way in hell. However, he is from the area. Also, he obviously is a very good coach. The big question is will that transfer to college? My gut feeling with him is that it will. But, I'd like to see the short list...I can't imagine he's the most qualified.

So here is a look at what West Brook did pre/with/post Stump and pre/with Stump at Atascocita. I chose 6 years pre since that's how long AHS was in existence before he arrived.

WBHS Pre Stump:

1999 - 1-9

2000 - 0-10

2001 - 2-7

2002 - 4-6

2003 - 2-8

2004 - 2-8

WBHS With Stump:

2005 - 8-2 (3rd Round)

2006 - 9-4 (3rd Round)

2007 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2008 - 7-2 (2nd Round)

2009 - 9-4 (3rd Round)

2010 - 8-4 (2nd Round)

2011 - 6-5 (1st Round)

WBHS Post Stump:

2012 - 4-6

2013 - 6-4

2014 - 5-6 (1st Round)

2015 - 6-5 (1st Round)

2016 - 11-2 (2nd Round)

AHS Pre Stump:

2006 - 1-9

2007 - 3-7

2008 - 5-4

2009 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2010 - 3-7

2011 - 3-7

AHS With Stump:

2012 - 5-5

2013 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2014 - 9-2 (1st Round)

2015 - 12-2 (4th Round)

2016 - 12-2 (5th Round)

If we want a high school coach, why don't we hire Cornell Thompson at WOS - at least he is a proven winner. My bet the Stump hire is an Aggie brotherhood deal - my only hope if/when Stump gets fired, Henderson follows him out the door.

ACU had alumni throwing money in the pot to get their coach - isn't that Henderson's job at Lamar!

If Keeler at Sam is making about $250k and ACU is supposedly putting up about the same amount for their next coach does anyone expect LU to really get someone decent for the ~$175k range that Woodard was making? My questions about Stump are does he have the connections to find assistants with winning college coaching experience or will he do like the coach that was from South Lake Carroll that went to North Texas and try to use high school coaches? How much recruiting experience does Stump have from his college coaching experience?

If we want a high school coach, why don't we hire Cornell Thompson at WOS - at least he is a proven winner. My bet the Stump hire is an Aggie brotherhood deal - my only hope if/when Stump gets fired, Henderson follows him out the door.

ACU had alumni throwing money in the pot to get their coach - isn't that Henderson's job at Lamar!

I think we should get someone with previous head coaching experience...either someone like Ash, or the guy ACU signed, or someone like Carthel(?). I think we are selling ourselves short going after a high school coach. However, Stump is a proven winner and has been a head coach much longer than Thompson and has won at 3 different schools (he was successful at Kelly too...something that isn't easy to do). Obviously, the biggest issue is that he's only proven it in high school. Naturally, we won't get a coach who is winning at FBS and it's very slim that we could get anyone currently winning at an FCS school. So, we are left with an FBS or FCS assistant. Or someone winning at Div II, NAIA, JUCO, or high school. Stump does have college coaching experience (as an assistant many years ago). I think he'd be a much better hire than a Cornell Thompson. I also think he'd be better than a Peveto or Barbay. My personal first choice would have been the guy ACU signed. We blew it if we didn't try to get that guy. I honestly think Stump would be successful but I think it's too much of a risk. However, Ash is 65 so would it be more difficult for him to recruit?? Idk. What other names are still possibilities? Do we scratch Carthel off of our wish list since he signed a new contract?

I was looking at the Div II possibilities and it seems a lot of the better teams are up north. Will any of those guys want to move south? I found a semi interesting name in Jim Svoboda at Central Missouri (just looking at record, and offensive production, and experience, etc). Someone throw out some other names. I'm frustrated it's taking so long and need something to do. Throw some names out and lets hire our own. (And if Henderson doesn't hire our candidate we can blame him if we don't win :-))

If Keeler at Sam is making about $250k and ACU is supposedly putting up about the same amount for their next coach does anyone expect LU to really get someone decent for the ~$175k range that Woodard was making? My questions about Stump are does he have the connections to find assistants with winning college coaching experience or will he do like the coach that was from South Lake Carroll that went to North Texas and try to use high school coaches? How much recruiting experience does Stump have from his college coaching experience?

I hope we are willing to pay what it takes to get a decent coach. If we go with Stump I hope it's because there wasn't a better candidate interested and not because we weren't willing to pay $250k or whatever the going rate is (and I'm talking the going rate for a good FCS coach...not FBS, I'm not delusional). (I'd love to see that list of 500 applicants).

I hope we are willing to pay what it takes to get a decent coach. If we go with Stump I hope it's because there wasn't a better candidate interested and not because we weren't willing to pay $250k or whatever the going rate is (and I'm talking the going rate for a good FCS coach...not FBS, I'm not delusional). (I'd love to see that list of 500 applicants).

I say this is horse shit. If we go after a high school coach that hasn't even won a state championship our AD must have been dropped on his head. That is so damn dumb. ACU with a far smaller budget gets a 2 time national champion coach D2 paying 250k a year... That is forward thinking... If we hire a damn high school coach I will not renew my tickets. I can only imagine the flaming we are taking over at the katfans forum... They got fritz... a winner, they got keeler a winner.... Longo goes to OLE MISS and we get a mediocre high school coach... I will not support stupid backwards thinking. I hope this isn't true.

I can understand why they spent the money on a national search, You've got to try and see what is out there. The more I think about Stump, the more it appeals to me. He's not exactly a spring chicken at 51, which, to me, is no big deal, but he has been a successful HC for the last 11 years, in the highest UIL classifications. He knows the area, the local coaches, and is wanting the job. I can see why he may be considered the front runner.

I can understand why they spent the money on a national search, You've got to try and see what is out there. The more I think about Stump, the more it appeals to me. He's not exactly a spring chicken at 51, which, to me, is no big deal, but he has been a successful HC for the last 11 years, in the highest UIL classifications. He knows the area, the local coaches, and is wanting the job. I can see why he may be considered the front runner.

Jason is that you???? I can't see in any way this is a good hire

So here is a look at what West Brook did pre/with/post Stump and pre/with Stump at Atascocita. I chose 6 years pre since that's how long AHS was in existence before he arrived.

WBHS Pre Stump:

1999 - 1-9

2000 - 0-10

2001 - 2-7

2002 - 4-6

2003 - 2-8

2004 - 2-8

WBHS With Stump:

2005 - 8-2 (3rd Round)

2006 - 9-4 (3rd Round)

2007 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2008 - 7-2 (2nd Round)

2009 - 9-4 (3rd Round)

2010 - 8-4 (2nd Round)

2011 - 6-5 (1st Round)

WBHS Post Stump:

2012 - 4-6

2013 - 6-4

2014 - 5-6 (1st Round)

2015 - 6-5 (1st Round)

2016 - 11-2 (2nd Round)

AHS Pre Stump:

2006 - 1-9

2007 - 3-7

2008 - 5-4

2009 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2010 - 3-7

2011 - 3-7

AHS With Stump:

2012 - 5-5

2013 - 10-2 (2nd Round)

2014 - 9-2 (1st Round)

2015 - 12-2 (4th Round)

2016 - 12-2 (5th Round)

While I can't comment on what he's done at AHS I wouldn't put too much stock into the turnaround at West Brook. I still think even Al Rabb would have won games with the talent we had from 05-09 (2 current NFL, 1 CFL and multiple D1). I mean not knocking the guy but Billy Chavis was the QB before Stump brought Joe Chaisson with him from Kelly. We were still dominated every year by the big Houston schools by the 3rd round of the playoffs.

While I can't comment on what he's done at AHS I wouldn't put too much stock into the turnaround at West Brook. I still think even Al Rabb would have won games with the talent we had from 05-09 (2 current NFL, 1 CFL and multiple D1). I mean not knocking the guy but Billy Chavis was the QB before Stump brought Joe Chaisson with him from Kelly. We were still dominated every year by the big Houston schools by the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Omg. Ok, sorry but you are delusional. I know what Rabb did at WB, I've seen Rabb the last couple of years at Kelly. I saw what Stump did at Kelly. If you think Rabb and Stump are equal "coaches" you are beyond help.

I say this is horse shit. If we go after a high school coach that hasn't even won a state championship our AD must have been dropped on his head. That is so damn dumb. ACU with a far smaller budget gets a 2 time national champion coach D2 paying 250k a year... That is forward thinking... If we hire a damn high school coach I will not renew my tickets. I can only imagine the flaming we are taking over at the katfans forum... They got fritz... a winner, they got keeler a winner.... Longo goes to OLE MISS and we get a mediocre high school coach... I will not support stupid backwards thinking. I hope this isn't true.

I agree with most of what you are saying but there is NO WAY IN HELL Longo would take ANY FCS HC job over the opportunity to be OC at Ole Miss. No way no how. He's probably getting at least 1 mil per year. I agree 100% on the ACU comparison. However, why isn't anyone giving their opinion on who you/they want us to hire. It's easy to sit back and dog every name that comes out but, come on, put some legitimate names out there that we should be considering.

Omg. Ok, sorry but you are delusional. I know what Rabb did at WB, I've seen Rabb the last couple of years at Kelly. I saw what Stump did at Kelly. If you think Rabb and Stump are equal "coaches" you are beyond help.

Sorry maybe you didn't read my words clearly. I said he would have won some games with the talent we had. Never said they were equal. But I also watched first hand Stump ride Christine Michael for 3 years with much less success after his and others graduation.

I agree with most of what you are saying but there is NO WAY IN HELL Longo would take ANY FCS HC job over the opportunity to be OC at Ole Miss. No way no how. He's probably getting at least 1 mil per year. I agree 100% on the ACU comparison. However, why isn't anyone giving their opinion on who you/they want us to hire. It's easy to sit back and dog every name that comes out but, come on, put some legitimate names out there that we should be considering.

I wasn't saying that we would have gotten longo. Just meant the good programs in the southland hire better than us. Sam had marlin, keeler, longo, fritZ. Mcneese coach moved up, the sfa coaches have done well. All the while we go for the diamonds in the rough. Look at roc, Woodard, ect. It's never ending. That's why I say it's horse shit that we experiment with a dude that hasn't ever brought his team to the promised land. BrileS, dodge both made dynasties. Stump hasn't #neverstump. #horseshithenderson i did give names I said Levine the ex cougs coach. I am the guy that brought up hauck. Love ash he was a winner had no idea we had a shot

Edited by LUFAN

Ok I'm gonna lay it all out. This is everything I've heard to this point on this search.

Kevin Barbay - current Director of Player Development at Florida. He has has applied as has already been confirmed. I have been told that current Florida Head Coach Jim McElwain as well as the Head Ball Coach himself Steve Spurrier have personally called Henderson to vouch for Barbay. I've been told that Barbay is very much in consideration.

Ron Hudson - current offensive analyst at Penn State. Coachingsearch.com has reported that Hudson is "in the mix" for the job.

Rob Ash - current offensive analyst for Arkansas. Confirmed by the Port Arthur News he has applied for the job.

Craig Stump - current Head Coach of Atascocsita HS. Been reported by KFDM that he is currently the front runner for the position.

So here is some info that I've recently come into. I was told that there was a coach in the facility on Monday. I checked with a source who said that was not true from what he knew at the time. Later on, my source said he has heard a rumor that the Head Coach for Cy-Ranch HS Gene Johnson as well as Bradley Dale Peveto had been at the facility early this week. Source wasn't sure how true the because the committee was supposed to have a meeting with Henderson on Tuesday and didn't think a meeting with a coach would have occurred before the committee meeting. Heard from another source this meeting was between donors and Henderson. No idea which it's correct but both confirmed it took place Tuesday.

Lamar's public info office seems to not be cooperating with local media in terms of Freedom of Information

Kelly had alot of talent when Chump was there...then recruited them over to Westbrook when he left. F-ck him for taking Joe.

#neverstump