Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, some much better names in the mix Bell hall Nutt Ash. I'm getting optimistic again! And I wonder what happened with the Hauck rumor?

Kerwin Bell - 51, what's not to like.

Hall - He's 36, interesting read on http://www.uwgsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=526&path=football

“Attitude is everything; only you can choose yours"

...Hall wants his program to be based on honesty, great judgment, The Golden Rule, positive energy, accountability, and last-but-not-least: find a way...[/]

- His 2016 record dropped to 7-4, overall very good with playoff experience

- reading the coaching staff bios, may have good people to recruit to follow him to Lamar.

- another candidate in the what's not to like column.

Nutt- no, no current experience unless we need a new play by play man.

Ash - no, too old at 65 and questions about his win total.

In my opinion, Bell and Irwin are hands down better than Nutt and Ash. If Lamar could sign either Bell or Hall, I think that would be a good hire. I lean toward Hall.

I hope they can make this happen. I like Hall:

Will Hall West Georgia Football HeadshotWILL HALL, WEST GEORGIA HEAD COACH

Much as he did with West Alabama, Will Hall took a struggling West Georgia program and turned the Wolves into a national contender. A D2 football lifer, Hall won the 2003 Harlon Hill Trophy as the quarterback at North Alabama. He has since coached across the South, with assistant coaching stops at Arkansas-Monticello, Southwest Baptist, Henderson State and Presbyterian (now FCS). It was at West Alabama where Hall earned his first big break. After three seasons as Bobby Wallace’s offensive coordinator in Livingston, Hall became head coach when Wallace returned to Florence for his second stint as head coach at North Alabama. During Hall’s three years at West Alabama’s head coach, the Tigers went 25-11, including playoff appearances in 2012 and 2013. He also coached several All-American caliber players now in the pros, including linebackers Otha Foster and Deon Lacey of the CFL Grey Cup champion Edmonton Eskimos, and Super Bowl 49 hero Malcolm Butler of the New England Patriots. Hall’s first season in Carrollton was successful beyond anyone’s wildest dreams. The Wolves advanced to the national semifinals, only to lose to eventual national champion Colorado State-Pueblo, capping a 12-3 season, the most wins since 1982, when West Georgia College went 12-0 and won the Division III national championship in their final season as a D3 program. Now, with the Wolves the top seed in Super Region 2, a trip to Kansas City for the championship game could boost Hall’s stock even higher.

http://herosports.com/collegefootball/d2-football-coaches-succeed-in-d1-chris-brown-will-hall-hunter-hughes-matt-storm-paul-tortorella#2

As much as I would like Hall due to success and younger since that was 2 things I had hoped for, it looks like he is out of the equation right now. Of the 3 I mentioned yesterday that I was told were the finalist, I like Bell the most due to previous success as at HC at the FCS level.

Bell would be a very good hire in my opinion. I would be pleasantly surprised and happy.

Bell would be a very good hire in my opinion. I would be pleasantly surprised and happy.

This one hits kinda close to home with me. I played football at Jacksonville University for two seasons. At the end of my freshman season, the head coach that recruited me was fired and JU hired Bell. Personally, I'll never forget that he didn't invite me to camp my sophomore year even though I was in the two-deep depth chart at the end of spring ball.

Anyways, from an on-field standpoint, he would be home run. He's an offensive guru. JU always put up big numbers and that was "without scholarship players". That being said, I talked to an old coach there that said he had a huge ego and that's what kept him from getting bigger jobs that his on-field expertise would merit.

He had the issue with the AD about wanting JU to go the FCS scholarship route and there was also a big problem that JU had giving football players scholarship money even though that's against Pioneer Football League rules. They had to forfeit games and a conference title because of it. I don't believe he was implicated but... I mean cmon.

I think Bell, if hired, would definitely have to keep a coach or two from the old staff or hire some local coaches because I don't think he has any connections to SETX or Texas in general.

Kerwin Bell would most likely stick around at LU if he's successful. I suspect Will Hall would leave as soon as better offer came around, but that's a good problem to have.

What makes you think that after (potentially) leaving a job he's had for one year?

Either way, I like the hire. Hope Henderson wises up and brings him in.

As much as I would like Hall due to success and younger since that was 2 things I had hoped for, it looks like he is out of the equation right now. Of the 3 I mentioned yesterday that I was told were the finalist, I like Bell the most due to previous success as at HC at the FCS level.

What makes you think Hall is out of the equation.

Bell would be a complete wild card in term of how long would he stay. He was a Jacksonville for 9 years and sounds like he wanted to stay longer but differences of scholarships with the administration killed that. That being said he is Florida native and played at UF so I'm sure that factored in the equation. Yes he has only been at VSU for 1 year but he probably only went there so he could get back to a higher level. What's happening now is successful FCS head coaches are getting assistant jobs at FBS levels because even being a position coach at a Power 5 school is a pay raise from FCS HC money. The lowest paid assistant for UF last year made $286,000. UF's OC/QB coach is 46 and has already been an OC at 4 Power 5 schools so he could be only the short list for HC openings at the FBS level soon. Say if Bell were to turn things around here in 1 season with a prolific offense and the UF OC gets a HC gig for 2018, Bell would probably leave in a heart beat and double his pay at minimum if given the chance. He could also stick around and try to create a perineal winner to be more attractive to an FBS HC gig. The other 2 I could easily see staying for the duration of their career (if allowed) due to age. Bob Debesse is 60 and Mike Schultz is pushing it.

What makes you think that after (potentially) leaving a job he's had for one year?

Either way, I like the hire. Hope Henderson wises up and brings him in.

It would be nice to have someone successful who would want to stay but that's not high on my list. It's a business for those guys...leaving because of success would be a good problem for us to have.

The nine years at Jacksonville was a good stay and it sounds as though the school wouldn't or couldn't make an incremental step that he would have stayed for. But one year successes aren't necessarily a good thing remember LU basketballs last trip to the NCAA tourney.

I'd be all over Schultz in a heart-beat. He should have got the Texas State (FBS) job last year but it was given to Everitt Withers, and you see how that worked out.

Schultz is from Houston & has big tie-in with Texas HS coaches. Lamar doesn't need JUCO kids from Georgia & Florida.

I agree, we don't need to load up on a bunch of out of state JUCO kids (but I wouldn't mind a few linemen). If it's down to Schultz, DeBeese, and Kerwin Bell...idk, tough call...all three appear to be really good candidates.

Wrote an article in the paper a few weeks ago:

Schultz --

Resumé: assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Texas State from 2011-15; offensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee; offensive coordinator at Illinois; offensive coordinator and assistant at TCU; assistant head coach at New Mexico; assistant at Texas; assistant at Tennessee Tech, UTEP, Kansas State; played college football at Sam Houston State. Born in Houston.

Schultz was the runner-up for the Texas State job over the offseason that eventually went to Everett Withers. Schultz is nothing short on experience as he spent 11 years at TCU and mentored current Cincinnati Bengal quarterback Andy Dalton while at TCU and helped the Horned Frogs have one of the top offenses in the country.

I'd be all over Schultz in a heart-beat. He should have got the Texas State (FBS) job last year but it was given to Everitt Withers, and you see how that worked out.

Schultz is from Houston & has big tie-in with Texas HS coaches. Lamar doesn't need JUCO kids from Georgia & Florida.

Who says Kerwin Bell won't recruit Texas?

K.C. Keeler has ZERO Texas ties, wasn't even from the region and look what he's done at Sam Houston.

Schultz has never been a head coach and the staff he was on at Texas State didn't exactly leave the cupboard full of talent for Withers (his former team is playing for the FCS National Championship).