Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new name I've learned tonight is Will Hall. He's currently the HC of D-II West Georgia and has been there since 2014. Prior to that he was HC at D-II West Alabama from 2011-2013 and OC there for the 3 seasons prior to that.

2011 - 8-4 (2-2)

2012 - 9-4 (4-0)

2013 - 8-3 (5-1)

2014 - 12-3 (5-2)

2015 - 12-2 (6-1)

2016 - 7-4 (4-4)

Gulf South Conference Champions in 2012, 2013 & 2015.

Advanced to the D-II playoffs in 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015.

Played QB for D-II North Alabama and won the Harlan Hill Trophy given to the top D-II player in the country in 2003.

I have had it confirmed that he did in fact interview but no indication at this point if he is a finalist.

Not a bad resume, but it appears he has followed successful coaches at successful programs. I would be more impressed if he had turned a program around. Hopefully if he becomes the choice he'll check that box on his resume for the future by taking the Cards to playoffs.

While we are waiting for the announcement, you guys come up with something to argue about. I can't do it all and don't act like we all weren't on crack, at some point last season.

You mean this wasn't open to all of us?? :)

The Ash argument went on for months on http://www.bobcatnation.com

And it got as bad as the whining we saw over this recent election.

Again, good luck with your search.

I will tell you I was on the Alumni Foundation Board at Montana Sate from 2002 -2015. The posters comments are nothing but lies and trash. 99% of Montana State people would agree with me. Rob Ash did a tremendous job at Montana State and is well respected nation wide. It should be obvious the poster has an ax to grind and hopefully no one at Lamar will take him seriously. No one in the state of Montana does. Rob's record and the fact he was the National coach of the year and past president of the American Football Coaches Association speak for themselves.

I had some good friends that lived up there agree with you. I really hoped we could go for hauck but it looks like our short sided ad is to closed minded. Wants high school coach or some alc reject

Edited by LUFAN

Rob Ash was a fantastic coach at Montana State for the 9 seasons that he coached here. He brought in many great players and led the program to a 70-38 winning record over those 9 seasons. He was the winningest head coach in our history. And by the way, he did not do the scheduling! The administration did! His playoff losses were to yearly national contenders (Sam Houston St twice and South Dakota St). Our teams were always competitive w/him at the helm.

He brought in class guys and won 4 conference championships after bringing the program back from NCAA sanctions in 2007 from the previous staff. He recruited some of the most exciting players we have ever had and many from the state of Texas. Coach Ash built the program w/class and integrity and his outreach to the state was phenomenal. He also fund raised for the program non stop. He was loved in our state and 99% of the people did not want him gone. His firing was done by the AD who was then fired a month later because he let Ash go.

Ash had only one losing season (5-6 in 2015) in 9 seasons before he was let go. That is an amazing record. This 2016 season program without him went to an all time low in losses but did beat our rival, the Griz, who were not very good this year, which seemed to be more important than a winning season.

Ash's son works for Championship Analytics, a company employed by 33 football programs nationally (19 are FBS teams including 2 in the SEC). The company offers tools to assist in game management, including 4th down scenarios, time out decisions etc.). Montana St utilized this company and the offensive statistics went off the charts for the last 3 seasons while he was there. It was exciting football to watch. The company is growing and they are expanding each year into the Power 5 and Big 5 conferences and have been contacted by a few pro teams. Montana St was progressive in using them.

Lamar would be lucky to have a coach w/his record of success and he is a great guy w/many coaches in his coaching tree. He is currently an offensive analyst at Arkansas. Arkansas is also utilizing Championship Analytics. There was an article in USA Today on Sept 13, 2016 where Coach Bielema raves about the game options the company provides.

I hope you all will look at him seriously. Many of us were very sad to see him go.

Isn't Troy in eastern Washington.

I'm from Billings, MT; moved around the NW some, but back in the home town. It's great I'm so close to MSU and can attend the games and many of the functions.

Troy is on hwy 2 west of Libby and kalispell. I did however live in laurel for

A short stint during my 7th and 8th grade gear 94-95

Troy is on hwy 2 west of Libby and kalispell. I did however live in laurel for

A short stint during my 7th and 8th grade gear 94-95

I was just joking about the eastern Washington bit. I've been through Troy twice, I would think you would agree it's in a part of Montana that a person doesn't pass through often. That northwest corner is beautiful, but rather remote. Did your dad work for the railroad?

A new name I've learned tonight is Will Hall. He's currently the HC of D-II West Georgia and has been there since 2014. Prior to that he was HC at D-II West Alabama from 2011-2013 and OC there for the 3 seasons prior to that.

2011 - 8-4 (2-2)

2012 - 9-4 (4-0)

2013 - 8-3 (5-1)

2014 - 12-3 (5-2)

2015 - 12-2 (6-1)

2016 - 7-4 (4-4)

Gulf South Conference Champions in 2012, 2013 & 2015.

Advanced to the D-II playoffs in 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015.

Played QB for D-II North Alabama and won the Harlan Hill Trophy given to the top D-II player in the country in 2003.

I have had it confirmed that he did in fact interview but no indication at this point if he is a finalist.

Did some research on this guy, he looks like an outstanding candidate. I'd be more excited about hiring a 36-year-old coach as opposed to a 65-year-old.

How can we expect Ash to relate to players when he hasn't coached in years?

West Georgia was 6-5, 3-7, and 6-4 in the three years prior to Hall. He's a winner... lets bring him in!

Did some research on this guy, he looks like an outstanding candidate. I'd be more excited about hiring a 36-year-old coach as opposed to a 65-year-old.

How can we expect Ash to relate to players when he hasn't coached in years?

West Georgia was 6-5, 3-7, and 6-4 in the three years prior to Hall. He's a winner... lets bring him in!

Ash has only been out of the Head Coaching game for just the 2016 season. First season not as a HC since 1979. Was at Juniata (D-III) from 1980-1988, Drake (D-III/FCS) from 1989-2006, and Montana St. (FCS) from 2007-2015.

Here's my take on the coaches mentioned so far (in no particular order):

Ash - proven winner, but at his age does he still have the drive to be successful?

Stump - good HS coach, local guy, unproven at FCS level

Nutt - ex-SEC coach, works for CBS Sports now, does he really want to work hard at a much lower pay than what he's used too?

Hall - proven winner at the D2 level, wants to coach at the D1 level, interviewed for the UNT job a few years ago, young so he won't stay long at Lamar if he's successful

Peveto - local guy, couldn't win a NW State, another Woodard?

Barbay - another local guy, young but no HC experience, best quality is he's a good recruiter?

I say Ash and Hall are the best of the group. Ash is probably the low risk/low reward pick. He would probably give LU a string of winning seasons but probably no great seasons. Hall would the be the high risk/high reward pick. He might bomb or actually take LU deep into the playoffs.

Here's my take on the coaches mentioned so far (in no particular order):

Ash - proven winner, but at his age does he still have the drive to be successful?

Stump - good HS coach, local guy, unproven at FCS level

Nutt - ex-SEC coach, works for CBS Sports now, does he really want to work hard at a much lower pay than what he's used too?

Hall - proven winner at the D2 level, wants to coach at the D1 level, interviewed for the UNT job a few years ago, young so he won't stay long at Lamar if he's successful

Peveto - local guy, couldn't win a NW State, another Woodard?

Barbay - another local guy, young but no HC experience, best quality is he's a good recruiter?

I say Ash and Hall are the best of the group. Ash is probably the low risk/low reward pick. He would probably give LU a string of winning seasons but probably no great seasons. Hall would the be the high risk/high reward pick. He might bomb or actually take LU deep into the playoffs.

Two more interviews will be conducted, I hear Barbay is not one of them.

I've learned of 3 new names today to keep an eye on. I am told these 3 could potentially be the 3 finalist.

Kerwin Bell:

Currently HC at D-II Valdosta St. Previously HC at FCS Jacksonville University (2007-2015) but did not have his contract renewed due to "philosophical differences". Was a QB in the NFL, CFL & WFL from 1988-2001 after playing at Florida where he was SEC Player Of The Year in 1984.

2007 - 3-8 (2-5)

2008 - 9-4 (7-1)

2009 - 7-4 (6-2)

2010 - 10-1 (8-0)

2011 - 7-4 (6-2)

2012 - 7-4 (5-3)

2013 - 5-6 (4-4)

2014 - 9-2 (7-1)

2015 - 9-2 (6-2)

2016 - 8-3 (6-2)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerwin_Bell

Mike Shultz:

No HC experience. Can't find if he is currently employed. Most previously OC/QB at Texas St. from 2011-2015. Prior to that he was an assistant at TCU from 1998-2008. At TCU he was OC/RB from 2001-2007 then OC/QB for 2008-2009. Other stops in his career have included Kansas St., New Mexico, Sam Houston, Texas & UTEP

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=650

Bob Debesse:

Was HC at Texas St. (then Souwhwest Texas St.) from 1997-2002. Currently OC for New Mexico since 2012. Prior to that he was OC at Sam Houston from 2010-2011. Was also OC at at Minnesota from 1992-1996 and TCU from 1990-1991 where he was RB/QB from 1983-1989. Other coaching stops include from 2003-2005 at Purdue and 2006-2007 at Texas A&M as WR both places.

1997 - 5-6 (2-5)

1998 - 4-7 (2-5)

1999 - 3-8 (2-5)

2000 - 7-4 (5-2)

2001 - 4-7 (0-6)

2002 - 4-7 (1-5)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_DeBesse

Edited by KABrother88

Hearing Kerwin Bell from Valdosta State was interviewed. Looked him up and Has been very successful playing and coaching. Played Qb at Univeristy Of Florida and left as the leading passer and was player of the year. Also played Professionally for 13 years. Learned under Steve Spurrier, lindy Infante, And Don Shula.

Was offense of coordinator and player for a canadian league team

Started head coaching at a first year high school in Florida and built them in 5 years to win the state championship.

Then took the Job at Jacksonville Univeristy a fcs school that only had football for 10 years. 2nd year their he won the conference! Also won 2 more conference championships and built that program.

In 2010 at Jacksonville University he lead the entire country in offense and then was top 5 in the country 3 of last 5 years in offense. On defense lead the country in Ints 2 of last 3 years at Jacksonville.

Went to Valdosta State this past year and was picked to be down and finish 5th in conference! Finished 2nd and beat Will Halls West Georgia team his first year their.

At Valdosta this year they were first in the conference in passing and 6th in the country. 1st in the country in Ints with 27 also!

Looks like this guy knows how to build a program And win! He also is the Offense Coordinator and calls the plays! Seems like a exciting brand of football.

At first it would appear Bell took a step down from FCS Jacksonville to D2 Valdosta State, but Jacksonville doesn't offer scholarships. Wikipedia says he left Jacksonville because of that reason.

Looking at the Massey Ratings for 2015 (his last year at Jacksonville), they had a rating of 241 compared to 250 for LU, and they don't offer scholarships!

At first it would appear Bell took a step down from FCS Jacksonville to D1 Valdosta State, but Jacksonville doesn't offer scholarships. Wikipedia says he left Jacksonville because of that reason.

Looking at the Massey Ratings for 2015 (his last year at Jacksonville), they had a rating of 241 compared to 250 for LU, and they don't offer scholarships!

Wow! Well just read where at that non scholarship school he went and beat the Univeristy of Delaware at there stadium his last year at Jacksonville!!

At first it would appear Bell took a step down from FCS Jacksonville to D2 Valdosta State, but Jacksonville doesn't offer scholarships. Wikipedia says he left Jacksonville because of that reason.

Guess that proves he can recruit and/or develop!

Hall sounds intriguing but why take the Valdosta job and then the next year go looking for an FCS school? I understand wanting to get somewhere that has scholarships, but why step down a division for one year. Also is not having scholarships a Jacksonville thing or a conference rule or what? As an FCS school Jacksonville's ability to hand out scholarships is the same as Lamar.

Hall sounds intriguing but why take the Valdosta job and then the next year go looking for an FCS school? I understand wanting to get somewhere that has scholarships, but why step down a division for one year. Also is not having scholarships a Jacksonville thing or a conference rule or what? As an FCS school Jacksonville's ability to hand out scholarships is the same as Lamar.

It really wasn't stepping down a Divison. Read where his plan when he got hired their was to win anc take them to full 63 scholarship Fcs! New president and Ad got hired and they wanted to stay non scholarship which is using grants and Need base. So going from a need base grant non scholarship school to a 36 scholarship d2 school to me is a step up! Plus Valdosta State has been a power house in D2 and has produced big time coaches such as , Mike Leach , Dana Holgorsen, Kirby smart, and will muschamp! It's also a conference rule! Why going and beating Delaware who probably paid them to play is hard to do.

Edited by Redman93

Assuming you mean Bell, and the no scholarship thing is a conference deal. They also did not receive an auto bid to the FCS playoffs until 2013. They were eligible for an at large bid but were often passed up due to the committee viewing them as inferior with no scholarships. From 2006-2009, the Pioneer League and Northeast Conference champions played annually. Bell's 2008 team won the Pioneer League title but lost the "Gridiorn Classic" to the NEC's Albany.

Yes I did mean Bell. Did he try for other FCS or FBS schools last year before going to Voldosta? If he comes to LU and produces a winner will he be looking immediately for the next jump? Granted I would rather be hunting for a coach because the last one was successful but I hope whoever is hired is at LU for several years.

Yes I did mean Bell. Did he try for other FCS or FBS schools last year before going to Voldosta? If he comes to LU and produces a winner will he be looking immediately for the next jump? Granted I would rather be hunting for a coach because the last one was successful but I hope whoever is hired is at LU for several years.

I would love to have a successful coach that takes a promotion and Lamar would have to find another coach because the previous one turned the program around, won a conference champion, and packed PUS on a consistent basis. Upsetting A&M at their place in 2019 would also be acceptable.