Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another name to potentially watch is Kevin Brown. He was a WR at TCU while Schultz was there and was a GA after his playing days finished. He later coaches at Texas St for a short period while Schultz was OC then moved on to UTSA for 5 seasons with the final 4 as being the OC. Was fired after the 2015 season and is now the HC at San Antonio Christian HS. Not a whole lot of indication if this is indeed a hire but someone to potentially look out for.

I see on the recruiting thread that Shultz is making home visits with prospects, do you know if any of the old assistants are still with him or is he following up on recruits that were already on the target list? Man is Shultz under a ton of work if he is the only one evaluating player prospects and coaches both at this point with what two weeks til signing day.

And that would be a no

This is not good, we need most coaches in place by Monday. Isn't there some kinda NCAA rule about offering scholarships only by the school's staff (employee)? Thought there was some potential issues about Bobby Knight talking to recruits when Pat was head basketball coach.

I see on the recruiting thread that Shultz is making home visits with prospects, do you know if any of the old assistants are still with him or is he following up on recruits that were already on the target list? Man is Shultz under a ton of work if he is the only one evaluating player prospects and coaches both at this point with what two weeks til signing day.

I was told that no assistants were retained. I don't exactly know how recruiting operates after a coaching change as far as how the new coach knows who was recruited by the previous staff. The official offers to players are documented but as far as players that may be on the fringe without an offer yet they may just quit hearing from the school. The next 2 weeks a critical for the 2017 class. I don't really see us filling the class with this short amount of time so I'd expect to see some late qualifiers, late JUCO adds and some FBS transfers this summer.

This is not good, we need most coaches in place by Monday. Isn't there some kinda NCAA rule about offering scholarships only by the school's staff (employee)? Thought there was some potential issues about Bobby Knight talking to recruits when Pat was head basketball coach.

Yes prospective student-athletes are to be recruited by the coaching staff only and that's what the issue was with Bobby Knight...talked to a couple of guys from Indiana and told them they would be great a Lamar yada yada yada...so since he was not on staff it was technically a recruiting violation.

Based off of his twitter account, Eric Buchanan will be the new RBs coach. He spent last year at Iowa Western CC as the DB coach and ST Coordinator. Played DB at TCU from 2002-2006. Not seeing where he was between graduating and working at IWCC. Could have been at the HS level and that's not really documented

FootballScoop is reporting that Arkansas St TE coach Dan Dodd will be the new OC under Mike Schultz

1980-82 - San Clemente (CA) HS (QB/WR)

1983 - Santa Ana Mater Dei (CA) HS (RB/LB)

1984 - Long Beach St Anthony (CA) HS (HC)

1985-88 - Butler County CC (HC)

1989-90 - Utah St (RB)

1991-95 - Western Illinois (OC/QB)

1996-97 - New Mexico (QB/Pass Coord)

1998-99 - TCU (OC/QB)

2000-06 - New Mexico (ST/WR/Recruit Coord)

2007-10 - Tulane (OC/QB)

2011-13 - Capistrano Valley (CA) HS (HC/AD)

2014-16 - Arkansas St (TE/Recruit Coord)

Per his twitter he is definitely the OC and his son Bobby is tight ends coach. Hoping the whole staff will be announced formally today. First official workouts were this morning.

Ok so here is what we know for sure

HC - Mike Schultz

OC/QB - Dan Dodd

RB - Eric Buchanan

TE - Bobby Dodd

OL - Brad Bedell

DC - Melvin Smith

DL - Todd Ivicic

OLB/S - Cam Clark

That leaves WR, ILB and CB

FCS limits coaching staffs to 11 employees coaches of any type (counting the HC. Last season we had 10 by my count but it appears to me that Kevin Brown and Troy Douglas are part of the staff putting it back at 10. My guess at the moment is Brown would be WR and Douglas be CB with Smith taking ILB. I don't know if we hired one of the others to be a Director of Football Ops or something similar to that capacity. Also aren't sure who will be recruiting and special teams coordinators. My guess would be Ivicic would be ST since he has a long history of it but several of the new coaches has filled that capacity at some time.

Ok so here is what we know for sure

HC - Mike Schultz

OC/QB - Dan Dodd

RB - Eric Buchanan

TE - Bobby Dodd

OL - Brad Bedell

DC - Melvin Smith

DL - Todd Ivicic

OLB/S - Cam Clark

That leaves WR, ILB and CB

FCS limits coaching staffs to 11 employees coaches of any type (counting the HC. Last season we had 10 by my count but it appears to me that Kevin Brown and Troy Douglas are part of the staff putting it back at 10. My guess at the moment is Brown would be WR and Douglas be CB with Smith taking ILB. I don't know if we hired one of the others to be a Director of Football Ops or something similar to that capacity. Also aren't sure who will be recruiting and special teams coordinators. My guess would be Ivicic would be ST since he has a long history of it but several of the new coaches has filled that capacity at some time.

Dan Dodd was recruiting coordinator at Arky St.

Dan Dodd was recruiting coordinator at Arky St.

Several of the coaches have held that title at some point of his career. I can't recall seeing a coach be an OC and position coach to go along with the RC title. We will see when the staff is officially announced.

Also in an article posted by the Beaumont Enterprise about recent DL commit Teron Brown, it labeled Kevin Brown as the WR coach so that fills that spot as I expected.

[tweet]822472169749934080[/tweet]

Coaching staff announced via twitter

OC/QB - Dan Dodd

RB - Eric Buchanan

OL - Brad Bedell

WR - Kevin Brown

Co-DC - Melvin Smith

Co-DC/DB - Troy Douglas

DL - Todd Ivicic

OLB/S - Cam Clark

Note that Bobby Dodd wasn't announced as well as no one is given the ILB position group.

Edit: Original tweet was deleted but here is the article from the website.

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/1/20/football-schultz-names-assistant-coaches.aspx

Edited by KABrother88

• 1 month later...
Hearing that Bedell is off to Boise State, probably for a good bit more money. It happens when you have good assistants but I hoped we wouldn't lose any this quickly, before we even got to spring practice. I don't imagine there were many HCs sniffing around the assistants on the staff last year lol.

Hearing that Bedell is off to Boise State, probably for a good bit more money. It happens when you have good assistants but I hoped we wouldn't lose any this quickly, before we even got to spring practice. I don't imagine there were many HCs sniffing around the assistants on the staff last year lol.

He's has already changed his Twitter bio and picture to indicate as such. Almost a year to the day (March 14 cause I was curious to know and had to look it up) that Lamar lost a brand new assistant. Last year was DL coach John Blake who left for the NFL's Buffalo Bills in the same capacity. At least Bedell was here long enough to help bring in a recruiting class. From what I had heard he was is a really good coach and recruiter so now Lamar will have some searching to do to fill that role. Last year's OL Coach for Boise State Scott Huff made $285,000 but also had the CO-OC title. He left for the University of Washington last week. The lowest paid member of Boise State's staff last year made $135,000 so I would assume Bedell is getting a pretty heafty raise.

Speaking of now former OL coaches...I hadn't seen it mentioned here but Chuck Langston is now the OL coach at North Texas.