Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

What do y'all think they'll do with the guys they already offered?

Majority of the time new coaches will come in an re-evaluate all existing offers and make a determination if they will still honor it or not. For the guys already committed sometimes coaches will honor all existing commits and sometimes they will honor some and "encourage" others to seek a new home.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, let me clarify my dislike of our version of this defense. At times last year we had 6 or 7 guys that weighed less than the running back. you stick a bunch of kids weighing 190 and below, coupled with small DE, and light LB, thats gonna be trouble. you can be a bad as and quick ass hell 180, but it dont mean squat if you are knocked on your butt.

My son plays DB for Lamar, when he told me the defense they would run this year, I laughed in his face. We gave up tons of rushing yards the previous year with the traditional set. I knew we would give up the same or more this year. Listen, I don't need to know much about Football, but I know this. If I have a 220lb RB getting tackled by a DB before he picks up 4-5 yds a carry; 1 I'm a bad recruiter/ evaluator of talent, 2 my RB Coach is fired & 3 my RB is fired also. We don't have the personnel to run this Defense in my opinion. BTW, can we get a reliable WR to move the chains? SMH

I'm interested to see how balanced we will be. He said he wanted an uptempo, balanced offense and push the ball down field. First thought was Baylor's offense under Briles. Most people didn't think of them as a running team but they actually were very much so...then took deep shots when the D was worn done due to the tempo. I'm hoping our new version of uptempo will be more true than Kueck's 2014 version...we'd hurry up to the line then look at the sideline for 15 seconds and run the play lock down before the snap...used to drive me batty...

In my opinion, he won't be able to build a "wall" around the Golden Triangle. There's too much talent in the area. You can dislike the star ratings all you want, but any of the 4-5 stars out of the area and even most of the 3 stars won't be looking at Lamar right out of high school. Lamar may be the first offer for kids, but once LSU/Texas/Texas A&M & plenty others swoop in with offers, Lamar will lose out on them. Their best hope is FBS transfers, getting some under the radar (relative to FBS) prospects, and maybe sneaking some kids away from the Texas States/UTSAs of the state. Plus, Lamar still has to worry about McNeese State.

Plus, some kids simply want to get away from the area, something that isn't Lamar's fault.

hell, a new coach has to say that kinda stuff.

i dont give a rats ass where a kid is from....Beaumont or Belgium...can ya play?

I see a lot of high scoring games next year. With the defense taking the most hits this offseason I see him trying to get some good receivers for next year and trying to outscore the opponents until the defense gets rebuilt.

Any word on his contract? How many years and how much will he make? He made about $138K his last year at Texas State so I'm guessing he'll be making at least $175K. I don't see LU going with a 5 year deal since he's never been a head coach so my guess is a 3 year deal.

hell, a new coach has to say that kinda stuff.

i dont give a rats ass where a kid is from....Beaumont or Belgium...can ya play?

I agree 110% with Puddin, get some talented football players in here. The real talent pool of players is not the Golden Triangle, but Houston. UH did not have any starters from over 200 miles of campus. 80% of the team was within 100 miles.

Don't forget Dallas area too as due to track success some coaches call that area "Speed Alley."Some of the offensive success in recent years of TCU and Baylor is attributed to recruiting receivers and corners that are not rated 4 or 5 stars but show great speed at track meets.

My son plays DB for Lamar, when he told me the defense they would run this year, I laughed in his face. We gave up tons of rushing yards the previous year with the traditional set. I knew we would give up the same or more this year. Listen, I don't need to know much about Football, but I know this. If I have a 220lb RB getting tackled by a DB before he picks up 4-5 yds a carry; 1 I'm a bad recruiter/ evaluator of talent, 2 my RB Coach is fired & 3 my RB is fired also. We don't have the personnel to run this Defense in my opinion. BTW, can we get a reliable WR to move the chains? SMH

Ditto ditto ditto. Arguably our weakest position on defense last year was our d-line. And it was clear we couldn't stop the run last year. How on the world are you going to stop the run with a 4-2-5 unless you have studs at d-line?? You aren't!!! And man, did we sorely miss Begleton or what??!!! And it wasn't just his catches. His toughness and blocking were also desperately missed. Yes the o-line injuries really hurt but damn we need a receiver that can get open and make catches. Someone halfway reliable. We didn't have anyone close to that last year. If our base defense is a 4-2-5 again next year and assuming we don't recruit stud d-linemen, I'm going to blow a head gasket!! I'm optimistic this coach will be able to do good things on the offense. I hope we get a good d coordinator!!!

Ditto ditto ditto. Arguably our weakest position on defense last year was our d-line. And it was clear we couldn't stop the run last year. How on the world are you going to stop the run with a 4-2-5 unless you have studs at d-line?? You aren't!!! And man, did we sorely miss Begleton or what??!!! And it wasn't just his catches. His toughness and blocking were also desperately missed. Yes the o-line injuries really hurt but damn we need a receiver that can get open and make catches. Someone halfway reliable. We didn't have anyone close to that last year. If our base defense is a 4-2-5 again next year and assuming we don't recruit stud d-linemen, I'm going to blow a head gasket!! I'm optimistic this coach will be able to do good things on the offense. I hope we get a good d coordinator!!!

We definitely don't have the beef to run the 4-2-5. We won't have the DB's to run it next year either. A good coach adapts to their personnel. Any word on Schultz's staff yet?

We definitely don't have the beef to run the 4-2-5. We won't have the DB's to run it next year either. A good coach adapts to their personnel. Any word on Schultz's staff yet?

I was told he will be interviewing all assistants this week. But I'm sure he already has plans in place for some positions will not be as much of job interviews but more exit interviews. I think our top end DBs will be ok next year if we don't have any attrition. Only DBs we lost due to grad were Xavier Bethany and Brendan Langley. Rodney Randle should have one CB position locked and Shyler Staton played very well for a freshman and should be a good bet for the other CB. Davon Jernigan is back at SS and Jalen Barnes should be back from a torn ACL that caused him to miss all of the season. There may be some position moving because they were both at SS before the season. Chad ton Brooks is back at the 5th DB spot and Cameron Minger started the year and his backup but was lost for the year with a broken arm. Of those 6 named, only Barnes will be a senior and there is an outside chance he could get a med RS for last year and have 2 years left. Randle, Jernigan and Brooks will be Juniors while Staton and Minger will be Sophomores. Again that's if there is no attrition here.

I was told he will be interviewing all assistants this week. But I'm sure he already has plans in place for some positions will not be as much of job interviews but more exit interviews. I think our top end DBs will be ok next year if we don't have any attrition. Only DBs we lost due to grad were Xavier Bethany and Brendan Langley. Rodney Randle should have one CB position locked and Shyler Staton played very well for a freshman and should be a good bet for the other CB. Davon Jernigan is back at SS and Jalen Barnes should be back from a torn ACL that caused him to miss all of the season. There may be some position moving because they were both at SS before the season. Chad ton Brooks is back at the 5th DB spot and Cameron Minger started the year and his backup but was lost for the year with a broken arm. Of those 6 named, only Barnes will be a senior and there is an outside chance he could get a med RS for last year and have 2 years left. Randle, Jernigan and Brooks will be Juniors while Staton and Minger will be Sophomores. Again that's if there is no attrition here.

Shyler was a very pleasant surprise when he was forced into duty. Langley and Bethany will be sorely missed. I wish they would switch to the 4-3-4 as their base defense. All this waiting is for the birds! :-)

I personally wouldn't mind them raiding Ju-Cos for lineman on both sides of the ball for this recruiting season. We are in bad shape on offense and even worse on the d-line. I'm hearing some rumors that there may be a couple of seasoned and upper classmen on the offensive lineman that are considering not coming back next year.

DL JUCOs are a must. We only return 4 players I believe with 2 having been Freshman last year. We need guys that are ready to play from day 1. Then biggest issue with that though is that the JUCO signing period for midterm enrollees has already started. Now you have to look at guys who aren't going to graduate from JUCO until May and you hope that that will. On top of that, those guys will not be here to participate in Spring ball so they will have minimal time to prepare. I would expect to see some FBS transfers in the mix this summer as well who may be better equipped.

One thing I will be interested in seeing is if Schultz is going to hire an OC to be the playcaller or if he will call plays himself with his OC background

DL JUCOs are a must. We only return 4 players I believe with 2 having been Freshman last year. We need guys that are ready to play from day 1. Then biggest issue with that though is that the JUCO signing period for midterm enrollees has already started. Now you have to look at guys who aren't going to graduate from JUCO until May and you hope that that will. On top of that, those guys will not be here to participate in Spring ball so they will have minimal time to prepare. I would expect to see some FBS transfers in the mix this summer as well who may be better equipped.

One thing I will be interested in seeing is if Schultz is going to hire an OC to be the playcaller or if he will call plays himself with his OC background

I wonder that too. If the HC and the DC are on the same page it doesn't matter who call the plays. Jason Garrett gave up play calling to Scott Linehan a couple of years ago and it's worked out pretty good.

As another poster wrote, I don't care what scheme the Cards run on defense as long as they make it a priority to stop the run. That's pretty much the whole deal. You make the other team one dimensional and attack the quarterback when you do. A D-lineman can succeed if he's a bit undersized as long as he knows how to use his speed and quickness. That is assuming he has speed and quickness. I also agree with KABro that going JUCO might be the best way to go in this first year under Schultz. I'm all about giving the man a chance to see what he brings to the table. GO CARDS!

Article from Beaumont Enterprise. He's already working, he'll reach out to players, the DC will be his biggest hire, etc.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/New-Lamar-football-coach-already-working-10823218.php

I've heard he's contacting players in alphabetical order and it's a pretty brief talk. He hasn't made it all the way through them as of yet. I'm ready for some news on the staff, especially the DC.

I'm glad he is placing emphasis on the importance of defense. I understand his history is on the offensive side of the game but so many first time HC's don't recognize the importance of the other parts of the game to creating success. I look at the coaches at big time schools that come in with great success on one side of the ball or the other and their first HC job don't get it done.

Schultz even stated in a recent Enterprise article that the DC would be his biggest hire. We shall see.....

I cannot say whether not we had the personnel to run Haverty's defense last season... but I can say, 2 of our defensive tackles put out one of the most piss poor efforts that l have ever seen. I will even venture to claim that one of those two took the l previous season off, too.

Schultz even stated in a recent Enterprise article that the DC would be his biggest hire. We shall see.....

I cannot say whether not we had the personnel to run Haverty's defense last season... but I can say, 2 of our defensive tackles put out one of the most piss poor efforts that l have ever seen. I will even venture to claim that one of those two took the l previous season off, too.

one of em went down the pisser for sure

Lol. It is NOT semantics and saying it is is just silly. It's essentially playing the nickel defense. The nickel defense is designed to stop the pass...thus the 5...5 defensive backs. That's why you end up 110th against the rush because you are playing too many guys who are defensive backs at one time. If it's just "semantics" why not just play a 0-0-11, or an 11-0-0.? Give me a break...

The point is you can have 4 teams running a 4-3, but they can all be very different schematically. Calling a 4-2-5 a nickel is just ignorant, and proves my point that generic descriptors like a 4-3, 3-4, etc tell you nothing about how a defense is run. The "5" includes LB's who can run or safeties who can stop the run depending on how you look at it. Hell, a 4-2-5 can often have 8 or even 9 in the box. I do think it requires specific personnel that we don't have, but it always takes a year or two to adapt to a shift in scheme. Am I convinced it's the right scheme for Lamar? No. Gary Patterson had a lot of success with it early because his scheme thrived with the tweners that didn't fit at bigger programs. Where the game is at today, I'm not sure that still applies. EVERYONE wants those tweeners now. Here's a good description of run fits with a 4-2-5 and how it can look a lot like a 4-3 or a 4-4 depending on what you arer trying to do.

http://www.blitzology.com/2015/11/4-2-5-basics-run-fits-vs-2-back.html?m=1

TCU and VA Tech have both had a lot of success defensively in recent history with a 4-2-5. I'm a fan because of it's adaptability to hurry up and/or spread offenses. At the end of the day, decide what you what want to do, and go out and get the players who can do it. Even as a guy who loves the X's and O's it's still about jimmie's and Joe's. I could care less what scheme we run as long as the coaches know how to make it work and get W's.