Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

Well what I'm hearing is the Schultz isn't a fan of the 4-2-5 and is wanting to switch to a more traditional approach. The fact that he told the BE that the DC will be the biggest hire is telling to me that Haverty is out or a switch will be made. Otherwise I feel like he wouldn't have used to word hire.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I interpreted from Shultz comments at halftime of the basketball game on espn3 he is approaching the team and the coaching staff as each coach and player is as if they are a new hire or recruit. I wouldn't expect that he won't honor the players that are currently on the roster but he said he has to treat them like recruits in that they could decide to leave if they are uncertain about their place at Lamar with the change.

What I interpreted from Shultz comments at halftime of the basketball game on espn3 he is approaching the team and the coaching staff as each coach and player is as if they are a new hire or recruit. I wouldn't expect that he won't honor the players that are currently on the roster but he said he has to treat them like recruits in that they could decide to leave if they are uncertain about their place at Lamar with the change.

Another thing I took away from it was he actually said what I've been preaching for 7 years now...you need a relationship with local guys even if you know you have no shot at them out of High School because not all of them are gonna stick at the schools they go to initially.

Well what I'm hearing is the Schultz isn't a fan of the 4-2-5 and is wanting to switch to a more traditional approach. The fact that he told the BE that the DC will be the biggest hire is telling to me that Haverty is out or a switch will be made. Otherwise I feel like he wouldn't have used to word hire.

That's weird, according to our resident genius (papa bear) it's all just semantics.

The point is you can have 4 teams running a 4-3, but they can all be very different schematically. Calling a 4-2-5 a nickel is just ignorant, and proves my point that generic descriptors like a 4-3, 3-4, etc tell you nothing about how a defense is run. The "5" includes LB's who can run or safeties who can stop the run depending on how you look at it. Hell, a 4-2-5 can often have 8 or even 9 in the box. I do think it requires specific personnel that we don't have, but it always takes a year or two to adapt to a shift in scheme. Am I convinced it's the right scheme for Lamar? No. Gary Patterson had a lot of success with it early because his scheme thrived with the tweners that didn't fit at bigger programs. Where the game is at today, I'm not sure that still applies. EVERYONE wants those tweeners now. Here's a good description of run fits with a 4-2-5 and how it can look a lot like a 4-3 or a 4-4 depending on what you arer trying to do.

http://www.blitzology.com/2015/11/4-2-5-basics-run-fits-vs-2-back.html?m=1

TCU and VA Tech have both had a lot of success defensively in recent history with a 4-2-5. I'm a fan because of it's adaptability to hurry up and/or spread offenses. At the end of the day, decide what you what want to do, and go out and get the players who can do it. Even as a guy who loves the X's and O's it's still about jimmie's and Joe's. I could care less what scheme we run as long as the coaches know how to make it work and get W's.

Omg. I know you can have different schemes within a 4-2-5 or a 4-3-4 or a 3-4-4. Yes you can fill the box with 11 db''s if you'd like. Never mind. Run your 4-2-5 with half ass linemen and pack the line with a bunch of 170 lb guys and see how it turns out.

Edited by PeckEm

The point is you can have 4 teams running a 4-3, but they can all be very different schematically. Calling a 4-2-5 a nickel is just ignorant, and proves my point that generic descriptors like a 4-3, 3-4, etc tell you nothing about how a defense is run. The "5" includes LB's who can run or safeties who can stop the run depending on how you look at it. Hell, a 4-2-5 can often have 8 or even 9 in the box. I do think it requires specific personnel that we don't have, but it always takes a year or two to adapt to a shift in scheme. Am I convinced it's the right scheme for Lamar? No. Gary Patterson had a lot of success with it early because his scheme thrived with the tweners that didn't fit at bigger programs. Where the game is at today, I'm not sure that still applies. EVERYONE wants those tweeners now. Here's a good description of run fits with a 4-2-5 and how it can look a lot like a 4-3 or a 4-4 depending on what you arer trying to do.

http://www.blitzology.com/2015/11/4-2-5-basics-run-fits-vs-2-back.html?m=1

TCU and VA Tech have both had a lot of success defensively in recent history with a 4-2-5. I'm a fan because of it's adaptability to hurry up and/or spread offenses. At the end of the day, decide what you what want to do, and go out and get the players who can do it. Even as a guy who loves the X's and O's it's still about jimmie's and Joe's. I could care less what scheme we run as long as the coaches know how to make it work and get W's.

Hilarious post. Your BASE defense makes an ENORMOUS difference. Yes, you can change personnel, etc, based on the way a game is going. It's called adjustments. It's what good coaches do. It's much more easy to make those adjustments, personnel wise with a normal base scheme. This isn't high school, or close to it if anyone thinks otherwise. The 4-2-5 doesn't work unless you have a bigger recruiting base and play a majority of spread offenses. That's my opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine. I can't make you think right.

Let's see what spring practice looks like before we call into question our football acumen and family lineage. We've got a new coach and the staff will reflect that new coach's vision. I agree with papabear to some extent that the scheme should reflect the personnel you have and your ability to make it work. I also feel that Schultz will need some influx of JUCO talent to help out in 2017. Let's see what we can from spring practice, which is how far off?

Of course there's always going to be issues personnel wise when making a coaching change, but you can't let that drive coaching searches. Sure a similar scheme can be a positive, but don't restrict yourself. Finding a coach who fits is just as important as finding players who do.

But again saying a "base 4-3" doesn't really tell us much. Two coaches could both run a 4-3 and have different prototype lineman for their scheme. Is he asking them to 2 gap or 1 gap? Is he a Tampa 2 kind of guy that is going to involve the corners more against the run or are his DB's playing man and leaving that all up to the front 7? All of that is going to have an effect on the ideal size/strength/speed you are looking for.

Every system is going to have it's strength and weaknesses. From a recruiting standpoint I think it's always going to be easier to find DL for a 4 man front than a 3 no matter if that's for a 4-2 or a 4-3. At the end of the day just get good players and make the adjustments you have to based on what they do best.

Yes, it tells us you will have 4 linemen and 3 linebackers and 4 defensive backs. I think most everyone knows that you can run different schemes but the description, 4-3, 3-4, 4-2, is used to describe how many linemen and linebackers will be on the field in your base defense. If you are a linebacker, are your odds better starting on a team that runs a 3-4 or a 4-2? If you are short on linemen and loaded at linebacker would you still run a 4-2? What happens when you are weak on the line but you run a 4-2? You end up putting squirts at defensive end, they get pancaked, and you finish 110th in the FCS against the run. Anyway, hopefully he hires a good defensive coach, period. I certainly hope he wouldn't hire one based on the players we have on the team right now. And hopefully he doesn't hire a defensive coach from some program that has a consistently terrible defense (like Texas Tech)

Coach Schultz's contract details have gone public now. Here is how his contact compared to Coach Woodard's final season.

Base Salary:

Schultz - $230,000

Woodard - $175,000

NCAA Championship Bonus:

Schultz - $15,000

Woodard - $25,000

SLC Championship Bonus:

Schultz - $7,500

Woodard - $14,500

APR Above 950 Bonus:

Schultz - $2,500

Woodard - $5,000

http://m.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Schultz-to-earn-55K-more-than-Woodard-10843823.php?forceWeb=1

I'm hearing from multiple sources that Incarnate Word Associate HC/DL/ST Coordinator Todd Ivicic had joined the Lamar staff. He's been at UIW since 2008 in various roles including being intrim HC for a portion. He started there as the DC then was the intrim HC for the final 3 games of 2011. Larry Keenan kept him in staff as the DL coach and made him the staff contact for HS coaches. In 2014 he assumed ST Coordinator duties as well. Has spent his entire coaching career in Texas.

1991-92 - SHSU (GA DL)

1993-94 - Blinn JC (DL/ST)

1995-98 - SHSU (DL/ST)

1999-2004 - SFA (DL/ST)

2005-2007 - Tarelton (OL/ST)

2008-2016 - Incarnate Word (DC/DL/ST)

I'm hearing from multiple sources that Incarnate Word Associate HC/DL/ST Coordinator Todd Ivicic had joined the Lamar staff. He's been at UIW since 2008 in various roles including being intrim HC for a portion. He started there as the DC then was the intrim HC for the final 3 games of 2011. Larry Keenan kept him in staff as the DL coach and made him the staff contact for HS coaches. In 2014 he assumed ST Coordinator duties as well. Has spent his entire coaching career in Texas.

1991-92 - SHSU (GA DL)

1993-94 - Blinn JC (DL/ST)

1995-98 - SHSU (DL/ST)

1999-2004 - SFA (DL/ST)

2005-2007 - Tarelton (OL/ST)

2008-2016 - Incarnate Word (DC/DL/ST)

Any idea what he's been hired to do?

Looks like another potential assistant (although I do not have confirmation) is Melvin Smith. Has a lot of SEC experience including stops at Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & twice at Mississippi St. Looks like he has primarily been a DB coach everywhere. Most recently he was the DC at UL-L but was fired 1 game into the 2016 season.

1982-89 - Greenwood HS (Mississippi)

1990-91 - Delta St.

1992-94 - Ole Miss

1995-2001 - Mississippi St.

2002 - Alabama

2003-05 - Texas A&M

2006-12 - Mississippi St.

2013-14 - Auburn

In 2012 he coached Jonathan Banks at MSU to the Jim Thorpe Award given annually to the top DB in college football. He was also part of the magical run to the final BCS national championship at Auburn in 2013

Looks like another potential assistant (although I do not have confirmation) is Melvin Smith. Has a lot of SEC experience including stops at Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & twice at Mississippi St. Looks like he has primarily been a DB coach everywhere. Most recently he was the DC at UL-L but was fired 1 game into the 2016 season.

1990-91 - Delta St.

1992-94 - Ole Miss

2002 - Alabama

2003-05 - Texas A&M

2013-14 - Auburn

In 2012 he coached Jonathan Banks at MSU to the Jim Thorpe Award given annually to the top DB in college football. He was also part of the magical run to the final BCS national championship at Auburn in 2013

The story on Smith's firing at UL-L

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2016/09/05/hudspeth-smith-firing-one-hardest-things/89884060/

FootballScoop is reporting that Arkansas St TE coach Dan Dodd will be the new OC under Mike Schultz

1980-82 - San Clemente (CA) HS (QB/WR)

1983 - Santa Ana Mater Dei (CA) HS (RB/LB)

1984 - Long Beach St Anthony (CA) HS (HC)

1985-88 - Butler County CC (HC)

1989-90 - Utah St (RB)

1991-95 - Western Illinois (OC/QB)

1996-97 - New Mexico (QB/Pass Coord)

1998-99 - TCU (OC/QB)

2000-06 - New Mexico (ST/WR/Recruit Coord)

2007-10 - Tulane (OC/QB)

2011-13 - Capistrano Valley (CA) HS (HC/AD)

2014-16 - Arkansas St (TE/Recruit Coord)

Footballscoop is also reporting that Ben Beasley, ex DB coach under Woodard, has been hired at SFA.

Noticed that yesterday as well. This is his 5th stop in his coaching career with all 5 being SLC schools. Started at McNeese, then to Northwestern St, the to Sam Houston, the Lamar and now SFA. Very good recruiter.

A new offer was given out tonight and the player thanked "Coach Douglas". He recently followed Tony Douglas...not any info on Douglas' twitter page to figure out who he is. If it's the same Troy Douglas I'm thinking about then he was hired by Sam Houston last Feb then bolted for Texas St in June.

Coach Schultz has been at the AFCA Convention in Tenn the last few days nailing down as much of the staff as possible.

1990-91 - Delta St.

1992-94 - Ole Miss

2002 - Alabama

2003-05 - Texas A&M

2013-14 - Auburn

FootballScoop is reporting that Smith will be the DC