Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

My source have never indicated that Stump or Peveto were front runners. They did acknowledge they were interviewed but when it got down to the final three it was Schultz, Bell & DeBesse. Right now they are saying all signs point to Schultz. For what it's worth I saw DeBesse at Floyd's earlier tonight. Whether that meant he interviewed today or he is here for tomorrow remains to be seen. I can only go off of what I am told. They have been very upfront and honest as far as I can tell as long as I have relied on them. I have no reason to make anything up and just throw shit on the wall to see what sticks.

I don't know where Debesse lives but it must be a long way to be here. Hammering out a contract wouldn't be done in a few minutes but would take at least a few days. Debesse being in Beaumont the night before the announcement, I'm going to guess that Debesse is the new coach.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of y'all are waaaayyy to hung on up on schemes. Stuff goes in and out of fashion, but there's not much new in football.

https://www.amazon.com/Spread-Formation-Football-Dutch-Meyer/dp/B0006D7TRI

Success gets copied, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. 4-2-5, 4-3, 3-4 is just semantics. It gives you a clue about body types you'll try and recruit, but it doesn't really tell you anything about what the D is actually doing. The 4-2-5 (as a formation, not necessarily a scheme) is as much about dealing with hurry up offenses as it is about the spread. The players need to fit the system(and buy into it) but complaining about a 4-2-5 solely because it's called a 4-2-5 is just silly. Whether it's offense or defense: figure out what your bread and butter is going to be, get good players who fit/buy into that system, and be able to adjust when opponents find your weaknesses (every scheme has weaknesses).

Success gets copied, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. 4-2-5, 4-3, 3-4 is just semantics. It gives you a clue about body types you'll try and recruit, but it doesn't really tell you anything about what the D is actually doing. The 4-2-5 (as a formation, not necessarily a scheme) is as much about dealing with hurry up offenses as it is about the spread. The players need to fit the system(and buy into it) but complaining about a 4-2-5 solely because it's called a 4-2-5 is just silly. Whether it's offense or defense: figure out what your bread and butter is going to be, get good players who fit/buy into that system, and be able to adjust when opponents find your weaknesses (every scheme has weaknesses).

Well said.

I'm good with it. He has experience in college (somewhere has to be your first head job, right?). He has obviously recruited Texas and has relationships with high schools. I hope he's here for 4 or 5 years and then moves on -- because he can.

Go Big Red!

Edit: Port Arthur News is reporting it's Schultz as well.

Edited by Ruckdad

I was kind of curious to know more about Schultz and I found this bio from the TCU website. The fact that TCU has had a resurgence of offense in the last few years goes to improved recruiting but coaching has been there to take those recruits to the next level. This was prior to his work at Texas State and I'll look for that bio after I get this one posted. Schultz is an offensive coach so who he picks to be his DC will be key.

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/schultz_mike00.html

As you read in previous posts Schultz was the offensive coordinator and assistance head coach to Dennis Franchione from 2011 to 2015. I can't find much on him at TSU other than the Bearcats didn't have a whole lot of success in the win/loss column going 20-28 in Franchione's 5 years. They did transition from being an FCS school to a FBS school and they ended up in the Sunbelt Conference. When Franchione retired after the 2015 season Schultz was in contention for the head coaching job before it was finally awarded to Everett Wilson. Schultz didn't coach in 2016 that I can find.

I hope that he can inject some life into the offense and I anticipate a much better offense going forward. We will still need to give a couple of years to get his players that he recruits into the system but for everyone who bitched about the offense under Ray Woodard hopefully that will go away.

Some of y'all are waaaayyy to hung on up on schemes. Stuff goes in and out of fashion, but there's not much new in football.

Scheme indeed matters if you're drastically changing schemes without the personnel to run the new scheme, especially when you just recruited and signed new kids for the old scheme. To run the 4 2 5 you need a butt load of beefy/stout lineman, a ton of DB's, and some fairly healthy linebackers. The only thing Lamar had marginally last year were the DB's and that was partially based on luck in getting a couple stud transfers. Their personnel is much better suited for a 4 3 4 as a base imho.

It least these boards/forums provide for some late night laughter.

Being from Sam Hou has nothing to do with a running offense. LMAO.

See you guys tomorrow at 2pm at the press conference. Make Lamar Football GOOD Again.

its a sign of a low IQ

hopefully, this dude is an exception

Edited by puddin tane

Scheme indeed matters if you're drastically changing schemes without the personnel to run the new scheme, especially when you just recruited and signed new kids for the old scheme. To run the 4 2 5 you need a butt load of beefy/stout lineman, a ton of DB's, and some fairly healthy linebackers. The only thing Lamar had marginally last year were the DB's and that was partially based on luck in getting a couple stud transfers. Their personnel is much better suited for a 4 3 4 as a base imho.

matters for recruiting..you play linebacker, you wanna go to a school running 2 linebackers, or 3 or 4. chances of playing time decrease. until they stick ya at DE and you get butt stomped by sam houstons line.....who all have the previously mentioned low IQ

Of course there's always going to be issues personnel wise when making a coaching change, but you can't let that drive coaching searches. Sure a similar scheme can be a positive, but don't restrict yourself. Finding a coach who fits is just as important as finding players who do.

But again saying a "base 4-3" doesn't really tell us much. Two coaches could both run a 4-3 and have different prototype lineman for their scheme. Is he asking them to 2 gap or 1 gap? Is he a Tampa 2 kind of guy that is going to involve the corners more against the run or are his DB's playing man and leaving that all up to the front 7? All of that is going to have an effect on the ideal size/strength/speed you are looking for.

Every system is going to have it's strength and weaknesses. From a recruiting standpoint I think it's always going to be easier to find DL for a 4 man front than a 3 no matter if that's for a 4-2 or a 4-3. At the end of the day just get good players and make the adjustments you have to based on what they do best.

Lol. It is NOT semantics and saying it is is just silly. It's essentially playing the nickel defense. The nickel defense is designed to stop the pass...thus the 5...5 defensive backs. That's why you end up 110th against the rush because you are playing too many guys who are defensive backs at one time. If it's just "semantics" why not just play a 0-0-11, or an 11-0-0.? Give me a break...

ok, let me clarify my dislike of our version of this defense. At times last year we had 6 or 7 guys that weighed less than the running back. you stick a bunch of kids weighing 190 and below, coupled with small DE, and light LB, thats gonna be trouble. you can be a bad ass and quick as hell 180, but it dont mean squat if you are knocked on your butt. Edited by puddin tane

just watched the presser, good first impression

-he, asst., and team will be out in the community

-thinks the "star"rating system is a bunch o' crap

-open door for hi school, junior high AND little league coaches

welcome to the Golden Triangle, coach! go Big Red!

What do y'all think they'll do with the guys they already offered?

He seems pretty intense, something we desperately need imho. I definitely like his enthusiasm.

Agree with the star rating is crap, also liked the comment about talent wins games and will bring in talented players. IMHO, we will see what kind of recruiters he and his staff are since we need DL, OL, RB, and LB to start with. Also may have to hit the Jr Colleges for talent.

He did say he is building a wall around the Golden Triangle and not letting any talent out. Well the QB at PNG has already committed to A&M, so you think he can change that commit?

Agree with the star rating is crap, also liked the comment about talent wins games and will bring in talented players. IMHO, we will see what kind of recruiters he and his staff are since we need DL, OL, RB, and LB to start with. Also may have to hit the Jr Colleges for talent.

He did say he is building a wall around the Golden Triangle and not letting any talent out. Well the QB at PNG has already committed to A&M, so you think he can change that commit?

Roschon Johnson has not committed to A&M. He has offers from Aggies and Florida. He's only a sophomore and has potential to have 30-40 by time all is said and done.

It's also not a secret he is a huge Texas and Herman fan. Herman was at PNG days after getting the UT job. It will be almost impossible to keep Roschon local when he makes his college decision.

In my opinion, he won't be able to build a "wall" around the Golden Triangle. There's too much talent in the area. You can dislike the star ratings all you want, but any of the 4-5 stars out of the area and even most of the 3 stars won't be looking at Lamar right out of high school. Lamar may be the first offer for kids, but once LSU/Texas/Texas A&M & plenty others swoop in with offers, Lamar will lose out on them. Their best hope is FBS transfers, getting some under the radar (relative to FBS) prospects, and maybe sneaking some kids away from the Texas States/UTSAs of the state. Plus, Lamar still has to worry about McNeese State.

Plus, some kids simply want to get away from the area, something that isn't Lamar's fault.

No, he can't build a wall, but he is not playing in the SEC either. There are plenty of Southland Conference capable players available that are low rated or non rated coming out of high school. The trick is finding and developing them, after they get to Lamar. Let's wait and see what kind of staff he assembles.

In my opinion, he won't be able to build a "wall" around the Golden Triangle. There's too much talent in the area. You can dislike the star ratings all you want, but any of the 4-5 stars out of the area and even most of the 3 stars won't be looking at Lamar right out of high school. Lamar may be the first offer for kids, but once LSU/Texas/Texas A&M & plenty others swoop in with offers, Lamar will lose out on them. Their best hope is FBS transfers, getting some under the radar (relative to FBS) prospects, and maybe sneaking some kids away from the Texas States/UTSAs of the state. Plus, Lamar still has to worry about McNeese State.

Plus, some kids simply want to get away from the area, something that isn't Lamar's fault.

I've been saying every bit of this for 7 years now. You still need to recruit these kids to a small extent to build a relationship with them so if they do decide to transfer you have that working to your advantage. If you build a perennial winner you can be a lot more successful keeping some of those kids from your UTSAs, Texas Sts, UL-Ls and such. Your still not going to get all of them because some want to experience college and you can't blame them for that.