Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

He's has already changed his Twitter bio and picture to indicate as such. Almost a year to the day (March 14 cause I was curious to know and had to look it up) that Lamar lost a brand new assistant. Last year was DL coach John Blake who left for the NFL's Buffalo Bills in the same capacity. At least Bedell was here long enough to help bring in a recruiting class. From what I had heard he was is a really good coach and recruiter so now Lamar will have some searching to do to fill that role. Last year's OL Coach for Boise State Scott Huff made $285,000 but also had the CO-OC title. He left for the University of Washington last week. The lowest paid member of Boise State's staff last year made $135,000 so I would assume Bedell is getting a pretty heafty raise.

Speaking of now former OL coaches...I hadn't seen it mentioned here but Chuck Langston is now the OL coach at North Texas.

Good luck to Bedell. I hate that any of the new o linemen we signed might feel like they were lied to. Oh well.. I guess that's the way it works in college recruiting.

Good luck to Langston, too. Great o line coach...terrible OC. I think he'll do well for them.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to Bedell. I hate that any of the new o linemen we signed might feel like they were lied to. Oh well.. I guess that's the way it works in college recruiting.

Good luck to Langston, too. Great o line coach...terrible OC. I think he'll do well for them.

Like I said earlier, good coaches sometimes get better offers. I'd rather have a little turnover due to that than mediocrity. Good luck to Coach Langston, he's a great guy and, like you said a good solid O-line coach. He was just over his head as OC. Ray is a great guy also. I'd like to see him get the BISD AD position. Too nice to be a HC in college IMHO.

Potential name to keep an eye on for the open OL coach position is Jamal Powell. He is currently the OL coach at reigning FCS Champions James Madison. He is a Channelview native and played under Schultz at TCU from 1998-2002

Not so much as I post that I find an article from this morning that says it will in fact be Powell. Looks like a good pick up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/o-line-coach-powell-leaves-123145549.html

• 2 weeks later...

Lamar makes the hire of Jamal Powell official with their announcement.

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/3/31/football-powell-joins-lu-coaching-staff.aspx

It looks like Powell didnt come to Beaumont alone though. Based off of his Twitter, Casey Kroll, an OL GA coming from James Madison to Lamar as well.

I'm starting to think that Bobby Dodd (son of OC Dan Dodd) is going to be a GA as well. He has listed himself as the "Tight Ends Coach at Lamar University" since very shortly after his dad was hired but there has been no announcement from the school nor is he listed with the coaches on the roster.

• 2 years later...
Kerwin Bell won the Div II championship with Valdosta State in 2018, then was hired by Charlie Strong to be OC this year at USF. There are rumors that Charlie Strong will get fired when the season is over so that'll probably leave Kerwin Bell without a job.

Kerwin Bell is a big no. Anybody hired by Charlie Strong's judgement is suspect, plus he is 54, plus his offensive numbers, this year, are not much better than LU's. I'm working on it but time is short.