IS IT GOOD ENOUGH ???

lu cards

has the improvement this year in mens basketball good enough for a contract extension for tic price.from what I read he's in the 2nd year of a 3yr deal.here is some info that may help you decide.

16-17 season 18-13(10-8)slc #6 seed in tourney

15-16 season 11-19(3-15)slc no tourney

14-15 season 15-15(9-9)slc no tourney

17-18 prognosis-lose 2 seniors(non-starters),should return 12(included is Harrison,sitting out transfer year),signed 6'8 and 6'9 post for next yr

I say give him a 1 yr extension with a small raise and see how next year plays out.i think were on the right track but not totally sold yet.another point is tic is graduating his players which should count for something.thought?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time a coaching staff is changed two things are fairly certain, first the incoming signing class may change and usually it is not for the better, second it normally takes a year or two to recover and regain any momentum left by the previous regime. Until Price demonstrates he can't achieve the next level he deserves the opportunity to continue. I will be the first to say that I am not sure that he can get to and sustain the expectation that I have for the program, but I know that whenever Lamar makes the next coaching change in the basketball program it will be a crap shoot as to whether the university will get someone better.

has the improvement this year in mens basketball good enough for a contract extension for tic price.from what I read he's in the 2nd year of a 3yr deal.here is some info that may help you decide.

16-17 season 18-13(10-8)slc #6 seed in tourney

15-16 season 11-19(3-15)slc no tourney

14-15 season 15-15(9-9)slc no tourney

17-18 prognosis-lose 2 seniors(non-starters),should return 12(included is Harrison,sitting out transfer year),signed 6'8 and 6'9 post for next yr

I say give him a 1 yr extension with a small raise and see how next year plays out.i think were on the right track but not totally sold yet.another point is tic is graduating his players which should count for something.thought?

thats sad ass conference record, especially for a pretty sad ass conference. dont know if he should stay or go, but a raise? naw

thats sad ass conference record, especially for a pretty sad ass conference. dont know if he should stay or go, but a raise? naw

I also am not a Tic Price fan, but like Geezer I believe he deserves to at least finish out his contract. Next year will be the year of reckoning for his Lamar tenure. He will lose Davis & Owens, but bring in 2 bigs, which we need badly. If these 2 big guys can play (especially with their backs to the basket), Lamar should make a serious run at the SLC championship. If they falter and finish mid-pack - adios! Also UIW & ACU will be eligible for SLC postseason play, so making the tourney will be harder.

Massey Ratings:

This year: 281

Last year: 516

2015: 320 (Price takes over)

2014: 647

2013: 797

2012: 139 (NCAA tourney year)

I'm expecting a big improvement next year which normally happens after bringing in JUCOs the previous year. The two bigs coming in will be freshmen so I don't see them making big contributions. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Instead of an extension, I could see giving him some kind of financial commitment that would indicate that Lamar wants to keep him provided there is no drop off next year. If you just let him hang, then he might start looking for another position and instead of giving him a new multiyear contract after next year you might be looking for a new coach anyway as he would have demonstrated to other schools that he was able to turn Lamar around. What happens after that to Lamar will not be on him.

It would be stupid not to extend is contract. He brought this program back from the dead. They had only won 7 games in the two years prior to him being named the head coach. Fire him so some other coach can reap the benefits of his hard work

I think not.

It might not seem like it to some, but there is a difference between not renewing a contract and firing someone. I think the answer is he has done enough to keep his job for now, but do you predict he is going to do enough to continue to build Lamar into the conference leader I and many others think is necessary, for me the jury is still out. I am sure that Lamar is a different situation than McNeese but as I watched him coach over there it didn't seem like he would get the Cowgirls to be dominate. Yes his teams won more head to head games with Lamar while he was at McNeese but really that doesn't say much as Lamar stunk many of those years. Also unless you have a coach that the AD is positive will take the program forward it is important to keep Price not out looking for his next stop. While I wasn't really in favor of his hiring, one positive is when coaches near his age they generally want to be somewhere they can stay until they're ready to retire.

Geez, were you guys expecting them to make it to the final four in this short period of time? What were your expectations? They won 19 games this season. Some of you guys love to complain. I do have a lot of respect for Geezer. He is reasonable.

Geez, were you guys expecting them to make it to the final four in this short period of time? What were your expectations? They won 19 games this season. Some of you guys love to complain. I do have a lot of respect for Geezer. He is reasonable.

What we want and need is sustainable improvement - that is all. That will require talent and good coaching - both Price's responsibility. Most SLC programs should struggle to compete with us on a consistent basis. We have the facilities and the fan base to out recruit the competition , no excuses. The difference in overall talent between Lamar and SFA is currently significant.

For Lamar to finish with a strong winning record (19-14) after going 11-19 isn't that what you want to see from a coach in his 3rd year? His first season wasn’t really Price’s team. For the most part it was what was left of Coach Roc and Coach Knight’s teams. Last year was Price’s first season with his own recruits and this season you see more of Tic’s influence on the roster and it’s been reflected in the results. You all know it takes a good 4 years to see what you’ve got in a head coach because that’s when his first recruiting class are seniors. I don’t think it’s unreasonable given the results this year to offer Tic a 2 year deal. Long enough to show some appreciation for the work he’s put in and for the success the Cards had this year and short enough that if this season was anomaly they can let him go. If the Cards improve even more next year and win 23 or 24 games and possibly the SLC tournament then you can talk long term deal. As for his salary, I say he deserves a raise. Don’t most of us get a cost of living raise every year? For a coach the best way to show him love is a long term contract and a healthy raise. I think Tic has done enough to earn a bump in salary and I’ll bet every one of the readers of this post are college grads or attended college and you all get a raise every year. I believe Tic deserves the same consideration. 19-14 ain’t bad folks and if you noticed the crowds got better at the Montagne as the season wore on so I say extend Tic and give him a raise -- he deserves it.

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly. I wonder how many people who are complaining actually coached or played D1 ball. I played D1 basketball and it is not easy. I wonder how many people on here are trolls. Nothing is ever good enough for them in regards to basketball and football. Lamar could win 23 games next year and some would still complain.

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly. I wonder how many people who are complaining actually coached or played D1 ball. I played D1 basketball and it is not easy. I wonder how many people on here are trolls. Nothing is ever good enough for them in regards to basketball and football. Lamar could win 23 games next year and some would still complain.

Well, I'm one of the complainers but I suppose that's because I remember the glory days. I don't think I complain too much about football...maybe every once in a while when we would lay a big giant you know what.

I remember when we used to go to regionals in baseball and win some. I remember getting screwed by UT at their place in regionals (he was OUT at home!!) I remember when we used to be nationally ranked in baseball and basketball. I remember 80 game home court win streaks. I remember beating Villanova by 20 here the year after they won the national championship. I remember the men's run to the sweet 16 (IN THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT) I remember the women going to the final 8. I remember us playing against and even beating the likes of Andrew Toney, Karl Malone, and Joe Dumars. So, I guess my view is VERY skewed. Now we think it's awesome if we go .500 in a crappy conference and get blown out by a below average SFA team. But, anyway, I'll try to do my best to look at it rationally.

Given the crap hole our basketball program has become, I think Tic has done fairly well (well, last year was close to an all time embarrassment but anyway). And I'll be clear, I didn't think we should hire him because of his baggage. But, then again, we all screw up so I'm past that. So, letting him play out his contract is a no brainer. Of course. An extension? I don't know. I guess if I only look at where the program has been since the late 80's I'd be ok with an extension. Grey Giovanni was always happy with .500 in conference, I guess I should be. Oh, and I do think coaches should be given credit for graduating players....and should be canned if they don't.

Edited by PeckEm

Hey Peckem, I was in school at LU when We had the longest home streak court in the country. We did lose it to Karl Malone (la tech) I think in the conf tourney. Then we started the Montagne center. We beat Bama by 25 in the first round of the NCAA's. Around the same time, I think it was Bill Bates that slid into home on that UT loss. Anyway, we were a power in most of the sports. Those were the good ol days. LU proud.

Hey Peckem, I was in school at LU when We had the longest home streak court in the country. We did lose it to Karl Malone (la tech) I think in the conf tourney. Then we started the Montagne center. We beat Bama by 25 in the first round of the NCAA's. Around the same time, I think it was Bill Bates that slid into home on that UT loss. Anyway, we were a power in most of the sports. Those were the good ol days. LU proud.

bates..cocky lil prick

He got them into the tournament and they won their first game. I would think that you have to let him finish out his current contract but no contract extension.

I would like to change my position. He seems to have a record trending in the right direction, got into the tournament and has a few bigs committed. I would offer him a one year extension, at the same salary, and just see what's what.

It would be stupid not to extend is contract. He brought this program back from the dead. They had only won 7 games in the two years prior to him being named the head coach. Fire him so some other coach can reap the benefits of his hard work

I think not.

I agree wholeheartedly! It seems people expect miracles. He has brought this program gutter in only 2 years. My God get real people.

Yes, fans do expect miracles and not just Lamar fans. Not saying that Texas and Lamar should be considered at the same level, and there definitely is more money at stake there, but three years is all that they gave Charlie Strong a proven winner at a slightly lower level FBS school to produce a championship caliber football team. Do you think there will be any talk over there of whether the basketball coach should keep his job? I bet there is except at UT football is king and Lamar basketball is the major sport with a positive history. Bruce Weber was supposedly hanging on by a thread if K-State didn't make the NCAA tourney in this his third year, so while it may not be right the expect a miracle is now the norm in the major sport coaching world. What happens to a coach depends more on what the boosters with the deep pockets think than anything else.

We know this isn't the 80s. That's why instead of discussing if the team will go to the NCAA or NIT tournament we are relieved they make the SLC tournament.

Instead of averaging 5000+ fans a game, people say a game with 2000 fans had a great game atmosphere.

Instead of keeping up with old rivals LU settles for a league made up schools that were either D2 or had no sports teams in the 80s.

I for one am tired of talking about the "progress" LU is making because in the long run they've been going the wrong way.

This is not the 80s. Let it go.This is 2017 and the team has made tremendous strides. Pat Knight destroyed the program. The women made it to the elite 8 , because they cheated. The coach was fired the following year.

Actually, Tony Branch destroyed the program. Pat Knight just help make sure it stayed destroyed.

Aw yes, I almost forgot about the schooling we put on Bama. And we had Villanova beat in the NCAA tournament and somehow Tommy Sewell's shot didn't go in. Oh how far we have fallen. We used to get mad about only making the NIT. I guess it's best to forget history and continue to set that bar really low.

I think it was Bill Bates too. I hated him then, hated him more in the big leagues, and still hate him to this day. (wait, it's wrong to hate...I dislike him).